Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Re: Always gender

Originally posted by propmanage
    Tinknocker,

Can you put her to work with you for a while and up date us in a year on how things worked out? That is if you are still in business and have extra time from defending your business decisions .No one is jumping on anyone, this site is about HVAC. She wants advice and it sounds like she just wants some one else to share in her misery.
    The only way she will move forward is to let go of the gender issue stop talking about and blaming things on gender and start thinking about how and what she can do in this trade that some one would appreciate and profit from. The only advice she can get is straight up nice advice, because she has made it clear, some one or something other then her experience and ability has held her back and is keeping her down. We all have obstacles to over come the grass is not always greener on the other side. If you want greener grass water it do not blame the people next door.

It does not take a rocket scientist to see that more energy will be focused on explaining how you run the business or why some one else was being treated better or worst. You will end up having to justify all your business decisions just to make one person happy.

Up date us on how you make out.

Aging needs to grow up?
    propmanage
    Ageing means experience and understanding

If she were in jersey i would be willing to give her a chance. It doesnt take long to know if someone has the potential. In my opinioun it doent matter male or female. even if she wasnt field meterial there is so much more involved as we all know. Dispacthing, ordering parts, doing inventory, helping out when a tech needs help, pricing parts and setting up times to go put them in. There is so much to service most techs havent a clue about. More then service calls. Dolores the knowlege you have from school is an asset as long as you learn where it works best.

Now if you were to look at my profile you will see i am a service manager {not an owner} and also go on the road and do service calls. I dont sit on my duff and just shout orders and all my guys respect that and me because i work just like them.

If you want your opinioun to mean something to me then fill out your profile so we all know something about you

I dont feel anyone would have to justifie they decisions in hiring her. If she has what it takes a good boss will know with in a few weeks where her assets will be best applied. If she is willing to except and apply
    wayne

[Edited by tinknocker service tech on 11-15-2005 at 08:08 PM]

Here is an idea:

I see you are not a professional member of this forum. If you apply for membership you can access two great sections of this site. You should be accepted without any problem. Great reading for someone in the HVAC business.

just imagine, wasting all that time in school and all them years?

Dont listen to anyone, negative!!!!
    but be realistic at the same time , balance the two!
    its like balancing a duct system in an office setting, everyone can be happy, except the ones that simply arent happy unless they're complaining about anything and everything!

There's, alot of people said , id never make it in this industry, and alot tried stopping me from achieving my goals in this trade!

the first company i went to work for let me go because , he said i wouldnt make it alone out there!
    the next company took a chance , and i was part of a four man service team that was voted numero uno service company, first year out in the industry!,by the city people voting our company number one service company!

Next alot of the guys that were in our hvac class course, were, thinking they could kiss up at my expense, and achieved awards, that only proved their class room skills!
    there were only two of the graduating class, i ever sen make it out there in this trade! and only one is left actually doing it! and he's a residential service guy, 4.00 was his gpa.,

looking back, I know , theres alot of guys that were good at b-s-ing the teachers and doing good in the classroom, and thats about it!
    theyre lacking what it really takes to make it out there, in the jack of all trades and master of most, incuding being a diplomat to get your 40 a week, and or selling, and or getting your service mgr or boss to be understanding or reasonable or calm down an irate customer! or a difficult dispatcher!

who knows there's all kinds of reasons, why some people dont do this or cant make it, they lack the true interest, they cant get the mental aptitude to connect to the mechanical aptitude/motor skills,lol.

Teachers would say, Contractors dont like to hire overweight people and older people for two reasons, injuries, and they cant work or balance themselves in confined spaces, or would fall through ceilings, roofs, off of ladders, etc;

so there ya have it!
    Id use you where you would be the best fit, and make us both the most money!
    dispatch, office, union service, bldg facilities type jobs u would stand a better chance, good luck
    hats off to ya!

Coldspot-I agree with you about learning to find a balance between being negative(which doesn't help)and being realistic.Thanks for the input.

Nevada-I think you have a good point.I SHOULD apply here for professional status.I'll do that.

Tinknocker service tech-Thanks for coming to my defense and for the nice things you said.If I lived in Jersey I would take you up on your offer!But(sigh)I live here in Colorado.You said"...the knowledge you have from school
    is an asset as long as you learn where it works best."I
    am looking into ALL of my options including parts sales,
    maybe even parts manufacturing.One thing I have thought about is trying to find a job working on compressors in
    a shop.But I think parts sales MAY be my best choice,if
    I can find it.The only HVAC supply house I know of here
    is Johnstone.I should check the yellow pages.

My best friend mentioned something the other day about a
    classified ad looking for people to do home inspections.
    Does anybody on this board have any experience with this?
    What degree of knowledge/expertise does one need to do home inspections?

Originally posted by hvacmama

You should start another thread if you want to open that can of worms.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by beenthere

Okay.Well,maybe I will.I'll think about it.

Originally posted by beenthere

Okay.Well,maybe I will.I'll think about it.
    Just a grammatical suggestion, please insert spaces after your periods. The "_" and the "." work together to form more legible sentences.

UPDATE:I have enlisted the help of a staffing agency to help me find a job-HVAC or not(my guess is,probably NOT)
    I told her that I would even accept a position in parts sales as long as it's hvac-related.But I also have some experience in electronics with inspecting and performing microsoldering(under a microscope)which she says there are a number of positions open right now for that.As much as I want to use my education to earn my living,and not waste the $12,000 I took out in student loans,I have to secure a full-time job right now doing SOMETHING.Hopefully down the road I can make use of my schooling.(Heavy "sigh")

Confused Need a chance huh?

Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. Speaking from personal experience, being a woman in the industry can be tough, and so can aging, no matter how gracefully.

I can't help you with the ageism issues, but I can tell you that we are all guilty of thinking that "older" people are incapable of doing physical labor. There is no excuse, but I think that it stems from people, like myself, knowing how hard it can be on your body and mind. I don't think any of us expect to or want to be doing any of the really physically hard stuff when we're in our fifties, like climbing under crawlspaces and installing ductwork while lying down. Not fun.

Now for the female issue. I face obstacles every day being female and in the industry. I don't dwell on it, but it is frustrating. I find that almost everywhere I go, someone says something stupid or chauvinistic. I also get some pretty cool comments too, usually from people who have "heard" that I know what I'm doing. I make a point of knowing what I am talking about. I study, read manuals and attend regular classes. Do I have to try a little harder?...yes. But I know that the people that I work with, like working with me and turn to me for advise. They also tell others that I am capable. I also make sure to get to know everyone at the supply houses and I order parts by their "correct" names and I give part numbers to make their lives easier. So, when the next guy walks through the door and makes a comment, they stick up for me too. It's all about word of mouth. Sometimes men in the industry will treat you like you're invisible, and that is why some women may seem as though they are being a little boisterous. Sometimes we do have to scream to be heard. But all you need to do is to get them to listen to you once, and if you know what you're talking about (and often more than them), they'll come around. Don't try to make yourself a martyr, just make them think you're their equal (even if they may not be YOUR equal). Sorry guys ;P Then there are the one's that feel threatened by you and you don't waste your time with. Usually, they will make comments, and other people who know you will just think "what an idiot".

Less than 2% of tradespeople are women and I would think that the fact that you are strong enough to enter this industry knowing that it is going to be more physically demanding and mentally abusive than for men (yes, you'll take a beating) should earn you the respect of others. But for some reason, it's more often the opposite.

Don't settle for a parts job if you really want to work in the field. Their are ways around the obstacles. Look for a company that has women managers or owners. Join some trade organizations if you can. Network!!

Ever give thought to doing Sales? or Project Management? A lot of residential HVAC companies hire "older" people because consumers tend to trust them more when it comes to sales and generally, salespeople do not have to have a lot of industry experience. You will get to design systems for people and as you gracefully age, you will still be able to find jobs in the industry that you want to be in.

Why did you choose this industry in the first place? I didn't choose it, it chose me!

Anyways, I hope you have better luck. BTW I thought fifty was the new forty?

D.

havent you guys ever heard that "older women" are better because they are "more experienced" ?

oh well,maybe i came from the wrong neighborhood

Hvacmama

Contact Mile High Equ Co there in Denver. I know they are always looking.

Originally posted by pecmsg
    Hvacmama

Contact Mile High Equ Co there in Denver. I know they are always looking.

Do you mean Mile High Equity Company?I'll check it out.

dchvac-Glad to hear from another female here!Thanks for
    all the words of encouragement and advice.You asked me a
    question and I want to answer it.HVAC actually WAS NOT my
    first choice.My first choice was automotive tech.But the
    admissions guy at the college convinced me that working
    on cars wouldn't suit me as well as working on things like
    furnaces,air conditioners and refrigerators.Part of the
    reason I decided on hvac was to learn how to work on my
    own equipment,to save money.Whatever I end up doing in the
    business,even if it's not being a field tech,I am very glad
    that I chose hvac to study.Who knows-maybe someday I will
    start my own business and hire my own techs,giving women
    preference.Not that I won't hire men...they will just have
    to try a little harder(hahaha).

You mentioned Project Management.What is that?What does one
    need to know to do that?Sounds interesting.

I would hire a woman if she had "the juice". I am talking itellectual juice here guys so don't get all worked up. I would like to see more women in this industry. Maybe it would teach some of the men they are not gods.

I would not hire prima-donnas. It is my belief that once you think you are the best, you no longer can be. Give me someone who gives a sh!t, I can teach them the rest.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast