Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Hey guys.Thanks for the helpful words of encouragement and advice.I'm sorry if my last post was offensive in any way to you all.I'm just very frustrated right now.

I want to explain how I chose to study HVAC in school when there were other(probably)easier career fields that I may have chosen.What about computers?Well,my math skills suck, and most computer degrees require advanced math skills.Or there was medical assisting.I tried that,back in the '80s, and dropped out of school when I learned that I would only be making about $8.00 per hour after I graduated(it took me 10 years to pay back about $3,000.00,working crap jobs and just accepting my fate as a woman).I landed a fairly good job in June of 1999 at a factory that processed raw circuit boards-we put all the parts on them-and I worked my way up to quality control at $10.60 per hour,the most I had ever made on an hourly basis.I enjoyed the work.But in June of 2001 the plant closed(outsourcing).For the next 3 years I was unemployed a good deal of the time.Even part- time work was hard to come by.

A year ago in October,I started a PT job with a company that does homemaking services for the elderly/disabled.It is only 10-15 hours per week at $8.00.Last year,when I had just started that job,my best friend urged me to bite-the- bullet(financially)and just go back to school.What choice did I have?I couldn't see one.So I decided to go back into debt to get schooling.My grades from high school weren't good enough to even ATTEMPT trying for a 4-year college.So I looked into community college.I didn't want to have to take a lot of general education classes(or PAY for them)so I decided that a trade school was best.I STILL had to take gen ed classes,but they were actually quite helpful.One of them was called "Success Strategies" and I found it to be very useful.

So now I owe $12,000.00 in student loans.What am I suppose to do to repay that-work at McDonalds?!Work at some other crappy job that will pay me $7 or $8 per hour because I'm a woman?!Yeah,right.I'm already 50 years old,and paying back this money will probably take the rest of my life no matter WHAT job I do.But HVAC will eventually pay better and better wages as I gain experience-how many dead-end crap jobs do that?!!

You see,gentlemen,I don't have a choice.I either do the job that I went to school for,or live out the rest of my life over my head in debt and trying to survive on $8 per hour...competeing with cheap foreign(mostly Mexican)labor for those crap jobs.

This is an interesting thread that held my attention longer than most. Welcome to the board Dolores.

I think you're giving up too early on finding a job. I know there have been younger guys just out of school who had to fill out many applications. They were quite frustrated and some gave up. I'm sure someone will hire you if you keep up the search.

Go to HVAC supply houses and check the bulletin boards for help wanted. Open the yellow pages and call EVERY HVAC company and ask if you may send a resume, then follow up with a call to whomever you addressed it to.

There are many threads on here about starting your own business. I have thought of doing it before but prefer the way things are for me being an employee.

Again, good luck to you and welcome aboard.
    R2B4BTU

Thumbs up

good luck to you,and most of all of us will help you,if you ask

I sent out 80 resumes and got one response after school. I am still there. I also sent out cover letters, did follow-ups in person, and sent an official thank-you letter to the one where I am now. I also wore a suit and tie and came with a portfolio. After three interviews they hired me. It is pretty competitive out there.

I don't think anyone wants to discourage you from becoming a technician, as much as they want you to REALLY know what it is like. Good luck in whatever you decide. But be open to distribution, sales, office, and ALL of your opportunities. Your technical education can come in valuable to more positions than just "technician".

Not sure if this will help or not but you can give them a try, they may be able to provide some resources.

http://www.swe.org/SWE/RegionI/Secti...tn/swerms.html
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat. (President Theodore Roosevelt)

Smile

Gentlemen,thank you(again)for your support and helpful suggestions.I was surprised to read that EVEN MEN have trouble breaking into this field!!WOW!!And I have always thought that ALL men just naturally had an easier time in getting hired,especially in "male-dominated" fields.You have opened up my eyes-thanks again.

I feel MUCH BETTER now...AND more hopeful!!!!

It's probably the 50 years old that's the the top concern.
    I'm 56 with 33 years experience....most in commercial work. Lots of Metasys and Tracer building automation system experience, centrifugal experience, 17 years as a service rep with 3 manufacturers ..Trane, Johnson Controls and Honeywell and it doesn't mean squat. Three dozen resumes sent out to companies where I match experience and skills required and no nibbles.... It's gotta be my age... they assume I'm a senile, physical wreck with no work ethic or enthusiasm left. I can still climb ladders with a chain hoist and walk the piping to hook it up to the eye bolts. Knees and back are good ...no bald spots or gray hair (Truth)... ain't obese..... just ain't 30. Good luck Mamma, you're gonna need it ...and so am I.

Hey guys-I have some ideas rolling around in my noggin,and I want your feedback on them.

I've been thinking that maybe I should check into service shops(like appliance repair shops),companies that make and service vending machines,companies that USE vending(like Pepsi and Coke),and companies that manufacture appliances.
    I even did some research on MVACs and found out that some vehicles,like city buses,use refer that falls under EPA 608
    guidelines.Also OTR trucks with refer trailers.

I have to be honest here.I am in no shape to do a lot of the strenuous physical things required of field techs.My main desire is to use the knowledge/skills I learned in trade school...and to use my tools!(hehehe).Working in a shop,or driving around servicing one type of machine,I think would be ideal for me.

Opinions??Advice??

It may be possible to find a shop that needs a dispatcher/shop manager.

The duties would be to take calls and route them to the other field techs and repair equipment brought to the shop under controlled conditions.

You would need to know basic equipment repair to be able to know what tech can handle different jobs that are called in. You would also need the same knowledge to make shop repairs. Your pay should be equal to or better than average tech pay.

Just a thought.

Thumbs down Have to be honest

November 1, 05

I admit that I'm not physically strong as a man, but I'm not looking for a "free ride"either.I can lift heavy things

November 6, 05
    One thing that I DO want to say here is that I believe that a man can get away with pretending to know what he's doing,just because he IS a"man in a man's world",but a woman has to prove herself ALL THE TIME,over and over,year after year,just to be TOLERATED by most men.

November 7, 05
    Let me be(perhaps brutally,to myself)honest here and admit that my trade school was only 9 months long so I REALLY learned JUST THE MINIMUM of knowledge about this field.

November 11,05
    I know that there is a LOT of competition in HVAC but if that doesn't deter men from "going for it" then it won't deter me.
    I have no delusions about how tough it will be.I know that I will run into people(potential customers)who won't want a woman tech.But I'm confident that others WILL want-even prefer-a female,for whatever reasons.In any case I will have to prove myself,

November 11,05

I have no delusions about how tough it will be.I know that I will run into people(potential customers)who won't want a woman tech.But I'm confident that others WILL want-even prefer-a female,for whatever reasons.In any case I will have to prove myself,

She's a very nice woman.The place is a family-owned-and-operated business.The woman I spoke with on the phone-and later met-encouraged me over the phone to come in.She said that they had hired female techs before and that they actually PREFER to hire and TRAIN people their own way.

Well...once again,I didn't get the job.So I'm going to do what my best friend says I should do:START MY OWN BUSINESS.

This is not about men vs women you have exhausted this issue, stick with what you can do for the company so they make a profit. As I said before it is all about money and you always say it must be some thing else. In your interview how did the topic of past employees, who she highered and what gender they were come about? Will you make them money or cost them money or incontinence them?

help?

.I admit that I'm not physically strong as a man,but I'm not looking for a "free ride"either.I can lift heavy things,with a little help

Did you notice the way he (or she) used bad typing to try and mask her other user names, then easily started using paragraphs when Lusker mentioned it. I am suprised this has been allowed to go on as long as it has.

And if anyone ever wants to start a business without a day of experience, please don't discourage them. It could be fun.

Originally posted by John Walker
    Did you notice the way he (or she) used bad typing to try and mask her other user names, then easily started using paragraphs when Lusker mentioned it. I am suprised this has been allowed to go on as long as it has.

And if anyone ever wants to start a business without a day of experience, please don't discourage them. It could be fun.
    I'm only going to say this one more time:THIS POST IS NOT A JOKE.I have no other user names.I AM NOT A MAN!!I have boobs not balls.How many ways do I have to say it?!!

As for the "bad typing" the reason it changed after Lusker brought it up is because I didn't realize how hard my posts were to read,written that way.

As for this thread being allowed to go on as long as it has,why are you suprised?Why shouldn't it?Because you think it's fake?Honestly,either say something constructive or stop spamming my posts!!!!

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast