Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3678910111213
    Propmanage,

>>I just do not under stand what gender has to do with learning or following directives.

I never did, either. Seems like it comes up when someone wants to justify something. But we are all socialized, to varying degrees, as to what constitutes "proper" roles (and careers) by gender. And that socialization, plus a little biology, is the basis for generalizations.

So here are some general trends: women are better at communicating, are more detail oriented, and tend to be more receptive to praise and criticism. But I know several exceptions to every single one of these. The single best person I know for talking to little old ladies is a man - and he's a real jerk. But he has a gift for it. The only true sociopath I know is a woman.

Gender is simply the easiest and most obvious handle we can grab. But the good Lord made us all a little different, in His wisdom. I just try to follow Him.

Re: Just don't get it

Originally posted by propmanage
    I just do not under stand what gender has to do with learning or following directives. For some one to loose a job male or female do to gender issues? That would not be good business practice not to mention some other more technical issues. Seems the premise is always a good vs. bad gender issue.
    I didn't say he fired them because they were men. He fired them because they refused to cooperate with him out of ego (or whatever) and wouldn't take his direction. And because they didn't keep accurate records of their jobs. Some were just lazy. THAT'S why he fired them.

Question Scary

You tag a group as male or female, you always use one or the other to explain your point and then back track on what you said. Why not just say fired all his techs. Was the secretary a male or female, you did not place a tag on that job title? Why bold lettering for some words and not others?

The guy has been in business since 1982 and recently FIRED ALL OF HIS MALE TECHS (AND his secretary)!! He says he's more concerned now about attitude than experience,

This guy sounds like the Wicked Witch in Oz:

"...and your little dog too!"

Perhaps he should fire himself??

Re: Scary

Originally posted by propmanage
    You tag a group as male or female, you always use one or the other to explain your point and then back track on what you said. Why not just say fired all his techs. Was the secretary a male or female, you did not place a tag on that job title? Why bold lettering for some words and not others?

The guy has been in business since 1982 and recently FIRED ALL OF HIS MALE TECHS (AND his secretary)!! He says he's more concerned now about attitude than experience,
    I didn't "tag" the group, HE DID. He only had ONE female employee, his secretary. I was just stating fact. HE said that he "fired all the guys" that worked for him as techs.

What is your problem with this? I was merely stating the facts of the situation.

Question No problem

I have no problem with anything; I am just looking back at pass inferences and commented on how you continuously have gender involved with issues of work. There appears to be a common link with most topics discussed on this long post. Check other topics and tell me if you see gender as often as the history of your post.

Hey Dolores, how's it goin'?

The folks here treatin you nice?

Smile What happened?

Hey Dolores, how's it going? Looks like your thread kind of died here. That's OK, mine did too. I was wondering, what happened with you? Did you find a job? Are you still looking? I just finished school myself. My gig at Hussmann didn't work out, so I found a better one doing restaurant service. I guess I just have the heart of a commercial tech; I worked for a residential company for exactly one day before I quit in disgust. Whatever you are doing I hope life is treating you well and I hope you are still using hvactalk. I have found it to be indispensable.

have your thought about a stationary engineer position? Hospital manufacturing federal building ect? It is alot slower pace than a servicetech and your would mostlikley hire out for the real hardwork and replacements. This trade is becoming soooo demanding and the companies pushing so hard on techs that your really dont see alot of guys over fifty in the field anymore, especially in residential most older guys are with the large union shops and are used more for experience and have an apprentice. Atleast in the San Francisco area.

Alot of my older friends go "inhouse" to a hospital or collage when they get up in age. Part cause the companies r pushing so hard and mostly because they want the slowerpace. Being able to do the P.M. tomarrow after the rain and goin home at the sametime everyday. I have left my house at 530 am and returned at 730 the nextday taken a shower and back to work my 9 am till 2 am. Thats a commercial tech in San Francisco. Let me tell u we were actually delerious.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3678910111213