Page 1 of 13 1234567811 ... LastLast

Smile

Hey Fellas!I'm a 50 year-old woman who recently graduated from a local Denver tech college with a diploma in HVACR.I graduated with honors with a cumulative G.P.A.of 3.87 and I have an EPA Universal Certification through RSES(with a score of 93%).But NO ONE HERE WILL HIRE ME.No one seems to be willing to take me on as an apprentice.Even though they don't know my age(and legally can't ask)it is easy to see that I'm not a PYT.I'm overweight but my hair is MOSTLY still brown(a few gray strands here and there).So what I'm wondering is;Is it my appearance alone that is costing me the potential jobs?I could lose weight and dye my hair,but I can't get any younger!I feel as though I have everything going against me-age,weight,sex-and my inexperience adds to the frustration.I admit that I'm not physically strong as a man,but I'm not looking for a "free ride"either.I can lift heavy things,with a little help.Aside from that I am knowledgeable in the basics of HVACR "theory"and can do basic troubleshooting.I have the basic hand tools that I was issued through school(Westwood College of Technology) which are mostly Klein.I received A's in ALL of my HVACR classes(only ONE GRADE was less than an A--I got a B in a computer class).I think that my knowledge and academic credentials should count more than my sex/age/weight.What suggestions do you gentlemen have?Should I pursue more training/schooling,maybe a formal apprenticeship program?

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=86263

look here kinda what you are looking for

good luck to you but it may be an uphill battle

It's hard to believe that nobody will give you a chance.
    The last three apprentices I've worked with have been totally unskilled, with no mechanical aptitude, and no refrigeration cycle knowledge, to the point where I asked the boss if his help wanted ad actually said "We'll take ANYBODY!"
    Why do you feel you need to be an apprentice? Tell them you can fix anything out there and give it a shot.
    I'll tell you a secret though. When you're out there, persistence can pass for brilliance, and it's perfectly normal to feel a little queasy and scared when you have no idea what's wrong or even how it works.

In another post someone suggested this number not sure if they are still looking or not.

RSI 970-587-0370

Also Check with HVAC-Agent they may be able to line you up with an opening.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat. (President Theodore Roosevelt)

hummmmm...... Sorry I cant help it but Im just trying to picture you in my mind as if that was really being told to us by Eddie or curry. You know a differant one of the alter egos. Never mind it was just a thought......I gotta get some sleep, think Im starting imagine things lol

Originally posted by dec
    hummmmm...... Sorry I cant help it but Im just trying to picture you in my mind as if that was really being told to us by Eddie or curry. You know a differant one of the alter egos. Never mind it was just a thought......I gotta get some sleep, think Im starting imagine things lol
    I was thinkin the same thing...too goofy of a scenario...

Arrow new to HVAC

I think you are barking up the wrong tree? I don’t think it has to do with gender, looks or age, unless you demonstrate that is a sensitive issue that would prevent you from perfuming you job or your personal feeling on that subject could result as a head ach to the business some how. In witch case they may choose another candidate that made them feel more comfortable.

It all about profit $

There is much more to schooling and grades when looking to hire. The company is looking to make a profit from you not just take on another body to baby sit and pay a check to each week. They will take everything into consideration, past work experience will be a big factor that demonstrates if a profit or a loss will be made. It’s not easy starting in this trade.

I suggest you begin with a large commercial HVAC maintenance company filters, grease, belts and such that will get you in the door and you will be able to see things from a different perspective.

To dec and 2hot2coolme--I'm NOT a figment of someone's imagination on this board!The post is NOT A JOKE!Now that THAT is resolved,please confine future posts to serious advice only.To those of you who have already offered me advice,thank you.I have been signed up with HVAC Agent for awhile now and,even there,everyone seems to want people with actual field experience.My best friend thinks it may just be the Colorado job market is bad because she's an LPN and can't find another job(she is currently working in a nursing home).And yet there are MANY nursing jobs listed in the weekly papers(as there are for HVAC).She has over 25 years experience too!!We are both thinking of moving to Seattle,Washington next year.We've been checking their job listings in the Seattle Times newspaper and there seems to be more opportunities there for BOTH of us.We took a trip there last year and we both fell in love with the city.So maybe Colorado is just the wrong job market for me.In any case I hate living here...it doesn't fit my style.

Not HVAC GrandMa yet?

Because you are starting out old already, you'll need to get a good pair of knee pads.

Originally posted by Nevada

Not HVAC GrandMa yet?

Because you are starting out old already, you'll need to get a good pair of knee pads.
    You should choose your words more carefully Nevada.

We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

No,Nevada,I'm NOT "HVAC GrandMa(yet)".Because I never had children.It was my choice.Men can make that choice,why not women?And,to answer the NEXT obvious question,no,I have never been legally married either.The men I have known in my lifetime actually seem to enjoy that I don't want to get married OR have kids.It removes a LOT of tension from an otherwise pleasant relationship.And I don't feel that I am "unfulfilled"as a woman without kids/grandkids.As for marriage,it just makes a man think he owns you and can order you around(applies the other way around too).That piece of paper has wrecked many a promising relationship! So these are my beliefs.Can we PLEASE just focus on my original question now?!!

alot of "service managers" have trouble reading,so your resume just gets tossed...

try the parts house.there you can see what's up in your area

hvacmama, you seem a little pushy to me (no offense). But you did ask how we all felt. A little humility goes a long way.

I think You will indeed have trouble finding work in this trade!!!!!! Gender bias, like it or not.

I think a parts house job might be a little easier to get.

Sorry, if this is not what you want to hear, but my opinion.

It isnt right or fair, but the way it is!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 13 1234567811 ... LastLast