Thread: Multi-Meter

Multi-Meter

I'm looking to upgrade my multi-meter from the one I have now ( iDeal ) but was just wondering what people had to offer for a decent amount of money. Nothing to crazy but nothing to cheap......

Buy a spare or three. I always carry three.

I have two nice units. A fluke amp clamp meter and I can't remember the other but it has cap test and hurts. I also carry a cheap clamp meter in case something happens.

jim
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by jim147 View Post
    Buy a spare or three. I always carry three.

I have two nice units. A fluke amp clamp meter and I can't remember the other but it has cap test and hurts. I also carry a cheap clamp meter in case something happens.

jim
    Wise and smart thinking.Thanks man

look at the Fieldpiece line of meters
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Got a UEI and a Fieldpiece, and an old UEI, got a Fluke floating around somewhere I got from a tech who was retiring and getting rid of his tools.

UEI meters are nice and they are reasonable. I hate taping wires to wet suction lines, so I would get a clamp thermocouple. Worth it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by King Ziptie View Post
    UEI meters are nice and they are reasonable. I hate taping wires to wet suction lines, so I would get a clamp thermocouple. Worth it IMO.
    Velco cable straps and a piece of slitted armaflex. No tape needed.

I guess.

Fluke 902

uei makes some nice ones, a couple other techs at my company swear by them. Personally i have used Fluke's since the 80's but im starting to wonder about their quality for the price now. i have 3 flukes and all 3 vary 7 degrees on a temp clamp. same clamp same pipe just swapping meters. the ones i have now are less than 2 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodrob View Post
    uei makes some nice ones, a couple other techs at my company swear by them. Personally i have used Fluke's since the 80's but im starting to wonder about their quality for the price now. i have 3 flukes and all 3 vary 7 degrees on a temp clamp. same clamp same pipe just swapping meters. the ones i have now are less than 2 years old.
    Yea I have the Uei temp meter for about 2 years and no problems yet except I have to tape the sensors on wet suction lines which gets aggravating.

I have several Flukes, if I were going to buy an new DMM tomorrow I would get either a UEI DM383 or a TPI 123, best bang for the buck IMO (both under 70 bucks).

Had a one or the other (at one point both) for many years. Bought my last DMM (Fluke 115) cause the day I needed it that was what was available , That Day !

If you can afford it the Fluke 87-V is almost unbeatable but for what they go for you will never want to let it out of your sight. I left my 87 alone once and it took me an hour to track it down (it grew legs and hid in someones tool bag for a while. Maybe it wanted a field trip or something )
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!