Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

I'm working on a service call that has been handled by someone else previously. I have a rheem RPMD042JAZ and for the past couple years the homeowner has said that freon has to be taken out every winter and added in summer. Any sugestions??? I'm thinking maybe TXV or some other metering problem or airflow. Just thought I would get some input before I go to the site. Thanks

Proper indoor coil? Proper line sizing? First 2 things to check.

rheem heat pumps must be matched with proper coil or air handler.

And the ductwork has to be as specified in the installer's guide.

(Same size as bonnet opening, tabs turned up, three feet with no start collars.)

"Static Regain" is the fancy name.

Could be that unit was overcharged in Spring and when called for heat in the Fall the high pressure limit was reached turning off the condensor...thus the need to remove refrigerant to get heatpump to operate properly. Assuming proper charge in Summer can't understand reason changing it in Winter.

I believe that particular model (assuming that it is matched to the proper Rheem airhandler which includes a TXV)is more tolerant of overcharge conditions in the AC mode and less tolerant in the heatpump mode.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by bwal2
    And the ductwork has to be as specified in the installer's guide.

(Same size as bonnet opening, tabs turned up, three feet with no start collars.)

"Static Regain" is the fancy name.

This is what we find as the cause of low airflow ,in all most all of the Rheem/Rudd installs, in are area.

Most all still have a bright orange/red sticker on the top of the cabinet telling the installer what to do.It amazes me that so many are installed this way.

according to our ruud rep, the static regain will no longer be necessary with the new series air handlers.

the lack of the static collar is a common problem around here.

your only choices are to keep adjusting the charge every fall and spring or correct it.

Originally posted by billva
    according to our ruud rep, the static regain will no longer be necessary with the new series air handlers.
    That's good news.

Found this same problem today. 13 seer rheem ht pump with a 10 seer evaporator coil. The coil had been changed 18 months ago Hi side pressure switch would trip out at 420 lb. i changed the coil to the recommended coil and had to actually add freon.
    I love my job.

I've been hearing about the new air handlers for about a year now but have yet to see one.

Does anyone (doc) know when we can expect them and will there be much of a difference in height?
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

the higher seers are going to a 40-42" height, i believe the base 13 airhandler will remain the same.

Yes, word is they will be taking orders shortly. I think it's fair to say they will be slightly taller but not much. (maybe 7").

As far as the OP goes, you need to look at several things. First would be match. It has to be matched.
    Second, Airflow. If you are lacking airflow, you will overcharge it in cooling naturally. Which leaves you overcharged in heating. You need to know the actual airflow before you try to correct it. And yes, are the tabs bent up?
    Third, Line size and length. Is that correct? Being a 3.5 ton, I am not too concerned about the size but the length and vertical seperation (OD above or below?)
    Fourth. Dont go assuming the TXV is bad until you actually read superheat.
    Fifth, frost the coils, insided and out and look for a circuit that doesnt frost.
    Sixth, if all else is perfect, recover the refrigerant, triple evacuate, breaking with nitrogen, and weigh the charge in. (I did say triple evacuate, not just evacuate).

oh yeah I've ran into the tabs not being bent up in a Rheem airhandler. It was installed in a attic space in the middle of july in Ga. none the less. Not a plesant experience to say the least. thanks for the help and ideas to go on. From what I've experienced here the charge on R22 esp. Rheems, isn't nearly as critical in the summer as it is in the winter. Thats as far as the unit cutting out on high press. of course. Either way it needs to be properly charged but the defrost cycle and other factors make it more crutial in the winter on heat pumps.
    I just don't see how some techs just add evac freoan from season to season and don't even try to eliminate the problem. They need to find something else to do for a living as far as I'm concerned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast