Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by l•k
    Stainless Steel and aluminized-steel heat exchangers both carry limited lifetime warranties (in many cases). Suggesting that SS=aluminized.

Yet in many brands only the units in the higher-end have SS, suggesting that SS is better.

I M confused.
    Both have the same thermal properties, so in that instance, both are equal.

SS will resist corrosive atmosphere somewhat better then aluminized steel will, so if you have a corrosive atmosphere, SS is superior.

If the furnace is dual piped for outside combustion air, this eliminates the possible corrosive atmosphere condition for the combustion side of the heat exchanger making them equal again (unless you live next to a chemical plant ).

If dual piped, there are few instances that I can think of that SS is superior to aluminized.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

UNBELIEVABLE.

This is what I can say: UNBELIEVABLE.

I got the new furnace installed and here is my first impression:

-very quiet on stage one
    -quiet on stage two
    -the temperature in the house is now EVEN (no more cold rooms and warm rooms)

I have setup the thermostat to 22.5 C and outside temperature was 8-10 C; the furnace was running on stage 1 for about 5 min going to stage 2 for another 10-12 min. That was happened approx. @ every 2_1/2 hours.

So my first impression: I am very pleased with the furnace for now. I will come with a second input after the outside temperature will be colder (under 0 C).

Thanks.

That's great news nea. If you are happy with the furnace during the mild days you will be happy during the heavy load days. The longer a furnace operates on each cycle, the more efficient it operates and the more even will be the temperatures throughout the home.

Sorry about the distractions with the personality conflicts. I just don't like to see one of the best furnaces on the market being talked down.

I think you made a good choice by going with the CLQ, if not for SEER, for added features.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Did I miss something ,I could only find one post negative about Goodman,and you didn't even address that one??

For this new furnace and A/C I have(Goodman GMV90905CXA and Goodman CLQ Series 14 SEER 3 Ton) do I need a two stage thermostat?

I have installed right now this one:
    http://www.ritetemp-thermostats.com/8085C.html

If neccessary I will replace the thermostat with a 2 stage one.

Thanks.

It would be best to get a two stage thermostat.

Then the furnace can run for long periods on low instead of starting on low and switching to high so routinely. For that matter, with a two stage thermostat it will generally only run on high while recovering from a setback period, or when it's so cold that running nonstop on low isn't sufficient.

What thermostat will be a good choice?

It might be a wire problem if I will switch to a 2 stage thermostat?

THX

I've seen the HONEYWELL RTH 8500 at HomeDepot. Is it good, bad?
    Any thoughts?

Also I checked the wiring on the installed thermostat and I see one Red, One Black, one White, one Green and one Orange(not connected). Are these wires enough for a two stage H/C thermostat like HONEYWELL RTH 8500 ?

Thanks.

[Edited by nea on 11-09-2005 at 07:33 PM]

We're getting too close to DIY training here. I for one don't want to see a nice system being adversly affected by mistaken advice.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by dash
    Did I miss something ,I could only find one post negative about Goodman,and you didn't even address that one??

Just in case you missed the question.

A correctly installed piece of equiptment is more important than the brand. The highest price unit with a bad install is high priced crap.

Originally posted by jumpit
    A correctly installed piece of equiptment is more important than the brand. The highest price unit with a bad install is high priced crap.
    Now see....the newbie knows what he/she's talking about

Welcome aboard jumpit.

I just bought the HONEYWELL RTH 8500 and the contractor will be available on Monday to remove the old thermostat and install this one.
    As I said before there are 5 wires coming from the furnace; are those enough for this thermostat to control my equipment(Goodman GMV90905CXA and Goodman CLQ Series 14 SEER 3 Ton)?

Thanks again guys.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast