Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tempstar unit

Frown Tempstar unit

Hi guys!
    I have a Tempstar unit which is about7 yrs old. The problem is that it stays on. I set the thermostat on auto at 78, but once it get there it dosent kick off. What do you guys think is wrong with it?

thanks

Could be

almost anything. Does the room temperature go past the setpoint, or does the unit just keep running and not cool? You should contact a service tech and have it checked.

the unit cools, it dosent kick off

Edna Bay, Alaska Highest concentration of black bears in the US
    Check the fan switch. Is it in auto?

yes, fan switch is on AUTO

Does the temp drop below 78? If so, you have a problem. If not, you are fine - it is maintaining.

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by paolo123 View Post
    Hi guys!
    I have a Tempstar unit which is about7 yrs old. The problem is that it stays on. I set the thermostat on auto at 78, but once it get there it dosent kick off. What do you guys think is wrong with it?

thanks
    when you say unit doesn't shut off, are you saying the airhandler and the compressor stay on or just the air handler. and if it doesn't shut off, how do you get the unit to stop? and if you don't stop it how cold does it get?

@ baldloonie, it stays at 78

@thes the airhandler and compressor stay on. to turn OFF i have to swicth the thermostat to the OFF position. If i dont stop it it stay at 78 all day and all night

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by paolo123 View Post
    @ baldloonie, it stays at 78

@thes the airhandler and compressor stay on. to turn OFF i have to swicth the thermostat to the OFF position. If i dont stop it it stay at 78 all day and all night
    what happens if you turn it down to 72-74? is your stat heat and cool? if it is ,what happens if you put the stat on heat but at a low temp. does the coolling inits stop? i have an idea, but i can't help a DIY, most guys will tell you to call a pro. i'll let one of the pro's comment on this issue.

i havent tried to put the temp down to 72-74. Yes, it has heat and cool

batteries

Check the batteries in the thermostat. Sometimes the batteries won't be low enough to show a low battery signal but are low enough to not allow the relays to switch. I am saying this on the assumption that you have a digital thermostat mind you. You might want to check your contactor in the condensing unit too

yes it is a digital thermostat, ill check the batteries now

ok, i changed the batteries, thermostat shows 82 i set it to 80. lets see if that was the problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast