Greetings,

I am currently in the process of having my 1991 model year contractor grade propane furnace replaced. I am upgrading to a high efficiency model since propane is not going to be getting cheaper anytime soon either here in California or anywhere else for that matter. My question has to do with the location of my furnace.
    Currently my return and furnace is in the attic which then pushes the heated air to the basement to the distribution network. Two contractors have told me that the furnace should be relocated to the basement, while the third told me that where it currently resides is fine. My specfic question is whether or not it is worth the extra money (XXX) to move the furnace to the basement, or is this a wasted expense and the unit would be fine where it is.

Thanks in advance....

JJ

(No pricing, due to site rules )

[Edited by jultzya on 10-31-2005 at 06:19 PM]

As long as it is sized right and installed correctly you will be fine.

Does your attic temp drop below freezing.

If so, I think I would relocate the new condensing furnace to the basement.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I don't think so. We live in the foothills east of Sacramento at approximately 1400'. Lowest temps are the low 20's.

it will probably be more eff by moving it to the basement.if all the duct work is in the basement and the only reason they would put it in the attic was to vent it through the roof and now you dont need to do that it will vent right out the wall and the thing is if the attic does get below freezing that new condensing furnace will freeze up on you and will stop running 20 degrees is cold and if your cieling is insulated and your attic has propper ventalation i would think that if it is 20 outside it is going to freeze in the attic i would listen to the two contractors that told you it had to be moved before the one that told you it didnt.

it'll freeze at 20, exspecially if you use a set back stat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?