Old Lennox draft G12D2 82,000 in / 62,000 out, used in an apartment with a worst case heat loss around 20,000. Five minutes of heat, hour of shivers, five minutes of heat....

Given that no landlord will replace anything until a red tag goes on (and this HX isn't dead yet, pity) ... has anyone ever gone to smaller orifices in a case like this? how much of a difference is achievable in practice? any problems likely as long as delta T is kept above 70F (spec is 70 - 100)?

Thanks,
    -Chap

There is the problem. Derate and TR drops.
    You can't derate far and keep TR up.

Natch. I was just wondering if there might be someone on the forum with a quantitative sense of how far that might be, or knows of any other adverse effects as long as delta T is in range.

Thanks,
    -Chap

Unfortunately derating by changing orifices will cost you considerable increase in fuel cost. Blocking an orifice does work as long as proper temperatures are maintained in the flue to prevent condensation.
    captain CO

See, I knew why I asked - the fuel cost increase is something I never would have guessed. What's the explanation?

I would have worried that just blocking one orifice would lead to undesirable temperature gradients across the HX and increased thermal stresses.

-Chap

Originally posted by chapmanf
    Old Lennox draft G12D2 82,000 in / 62,000 out, used in an apartment with a worst case heat loss around 20,000. Five minutes of heat, hour of shivers, five minutes of heat....

Given that no landlord will replace anything until a red tag goes on (and this HX isn't dead yet, pity) ... has anyone ever gone to smaller orifices in a case like this? how much of a difference is achievable in practice? any problems likely as long as delta T is kept above 70F (spec is 70 - 100)?

Thanks,
    -Chap
    Five minutes of heat and an hour of shriver. You mean to say it trips on high temp?

[Edited by kelvin on 10-31-2005 at 04:50 PM]

Originally posted by chapmanf
    See, I knew why I asked - the fuel cost increase is something I never would have guessed. What's the explanation?

I would have worried that just blocking one orifice would lead to undesirable temperature gradients across the HX and increased thermal stresses.

-Chap
    The flame temperature will be cooler, radiate less to the heat exchanger, less gasses to scrub the heat exchanger and the gasses will travel faster through the heat exchanger and transfer less heat.
    captain CO

Derate

Years ago a rule of thumb was up to a 25% derate. However, remember whenever you make an unautorized modification to equipment, it is your baby.

Good luck...

Five minutes of heat and an hour of shriver. You mean to say it trips on high temp?
    No, just that a 62,000 btu/h furnace in a (max!) 20,000 btu/h space'll drive the temp up pretty quick, and then you have a nice hour while the place gets gradually cooler before the stat will call for heat again. The electronic stat installed last year enforces a five-minute minimum on time ... with the old stat it was shorter than that! 'course the 5-minute minimum makes the temp swings /bigger/, but it made a *big* difference in efficiency compared to the year before: graphing gas therms each month against HDD (to control for weather as a variable) the slope of the graph went down (get this) 36%. The old super-short cycles were hardly longer than the time delay for the circ blower to start. Nice way to send gas money straight up the chimney....

unautorized modification to equipment, it is your baby.
    Or with equipment of this vintage, not so much baby as a second-childhood sort of thing.

We are actually repalcing an old G12 that has this done- there are 4 out of 8 orifices removed and the heat exchanger cells for those have blank covers over them-I will post pix when we rip it out next week. The blanks are cut and shaped to fit over the cell nicely. The property is a church rectory, and the monster G12 was installed by volunteers, the rector thinks it was already a used furnace when this happened > 20 yrs ago and it has run (derated) since then. He says it does OK, didn't need to change out until now, when they have $$, I was surprised, with a 50% derating, and the original blower.

We are actually repalcing an old G12 that has this done- there are 4 out of 8 orifices removed and the heat exchanger cells for those have blank covers over them ... I was surprised, with a 50% derating, and the original blower.
    Fifty percent! out of curiosity, what IS the temperature rise - is it in range? (how?) the blank covers - do they block the combustion passages, or the circulated air (or both)?

The blanks only cover the cells(section inlets), I'll look when we rip it out to see if they did anything on blower outlet. I don't think so, it all looks original. This monster is sucking through a 14 X 8 return drop(side) and trunk with a 14" high plenum, and only 2- 10 X 8 supply trunks. Total supplies in system = 5 x 6"round. It worked good enough for them for all those years, we're not gonna touch it until we yank it-no way.