Thread: Which AC units are the most quiet?

Post Likes
    Hello,

I am looking to replace a old Lennox condesing unit (HS19-311V-2P) with a new one. My unit is located in my backyard where we spend a lot of time and I cannot move it to an other location. As such, I am looking to replace it with a quiet unit (I would hope a lot of progress have been made since this unit was installed 1986..)

I have read that the Lennox HSX15 is the quietest you can buy (I have no idea of the $, but is listed on the Lennox web site as $$$, i.e. one of the two most expensive unit).

What are the most quiet units out there? (Of course, I would also like something quite solid)

Thx,

Yves

Post Likes
    York Affinity claims to be the quietest but most higher end units today are pretty quiet.

If the unit has a scroll compressor with a sound blanket and a slow running fan blade (800-850 rpm) it is going to be relatively quiet.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    What product would you recommend RoBo?

Post Likes
    Without a doubt, the Mitsubishi Mini-Splits with the Power Inverter systems are the quietest out there. Now I do not know if they make a system with the inverter system to install in an air handler/plenum.

just thought I would toss this in, I am extremely impressed with these new Mini Splits.

You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...

http://rapalaguy.spaces.live.com/

Post Likes
    I feel there are many that will fit into your category.

The ICP (HAC series) has a scroll compressor and you can add an additional sound blanket to deaden the sound further (you can do this with any manufacture).

The fan will be the real factor in the loudness of any unit. So as RoBo has posted, get a slower moving fan.

Post Likes
    After installing them for over 2 years I would say that Trane has the quietest systems on the market. Just my opinion though.
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

Post Likes
    Good quality American Standards are very quiet, they also come with a sound blanket factory installed.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Post Likes
    any of the high end lennox systems are quiet and they don't need a blankie to make them quieter. compressor is in it's own soundproofed compartment, pretty much only thing you hear is air moving from fan blade.

Post Likes
    Carrier Infinity Series Condensers are very quiet. Especially the 3 ton Trophy unit, that has a variable speed condenser fan motor.

Dave in NJ

Post Likes
    American standard and Trane makes a pretty quite unit. Plus, American Standards are really durable. They have had one of their compressors running continuously in a lab as an Iceball. Liquid freon entering the compressor since 1973 and still running. Liquid would kill most compressors.

Post Likes
    http://www.sdsc.edu/~nadeau/Rebuildi...proofingAC.htm

un mur de concret-bloc peut réduire des bruits

[Edited by l•k on 10-31-2005 at 11:54 AM]

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mister freeze
    American standard and Trane makes a pretty quite unit. Plus, American Standards are really durable. They have had one of their compressors running continuously in a lab as an Iceball. Liquid freon entering the compressor since 1973 and still running. Liquid would kill most compressors.
    but it isn't running with high head like most Trane units.It would have been dead in 73'

Post Likes
    If I'm not mis-taken, Snowball died a year or two ago...

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Lusker
    What product would you recommend RoBo?

As always, I recommend whichever brand the contractor a consumer trusts the most prefers to install.

The worst thing a consumer can do is to decide they want a certain brand, then try to get a contractor that does not prefer that brand to install it.

What if the perfect brand for this instance is a SuperQ brand and the local distributor for SuperQ units is terrible?
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    They have had one of their compressors running continuously in a lab as an Iceball. Liquid freon entering the compressor since 1973 and still running.
    Snowball died in 2000 after 27 years of continuous operation. I'll bet it wouldn't have lasted that long had it been cycled three times an hour....

Post Likes
    Yap snowball died
    it was a sad sad day

Post Likes
    Originally posted by travisfl
    They have had one of their compressors running continuously in a lab as an Iceball. Liquid freon entering the compressor since 1973 and still running.
    Snowball died in 2000 after 27 years of continuous operation. I'll bet it wouldn't have lasted that long had it been cycled three times an hour....
    This is exactly the case. Snowball died because it was shut down and restarted. I've come across several operational units that looked like snowball. The most recent one was in Cayman where the system was operating at the proper superheat on an 85º day but the suction temperature was 20º. The last tech had charged it accordingly not realizing the indoor coil was completely blocked.
    Training is important!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in