Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New system oil furnace.belt driven. When fan comes on geting a brief suction like metal sound on the furnace .. Not terrible but its there. It was suggested to me that i put a vent in the cellar on the return pletenum. Is that a wise thing to do since cellar does get water in it from time to time in the summer and spring? Otherwise its a very large clean unfinished cellar. East Coast where furnace is only used from oct to march or so.

Its called ash canning

Found the name when not enough air coming in to unit causes a sucking affect, "ash canning" anyone know anything on that topic

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Due to lack of return air,or the furnace is oversized for the home,and duct system.

Be careful adding a return ,where does the furnace get it's combustion air?Best to correct the duct sizes to the existing returns.

You need to have the ESP opf the ducts tested by a pro,so they can advise what is needed!

Oil canning, referencing the old style oil can you had to press the bottom of to get the oil out.

Ash Canning? not oil. Returns come from diff areas of the house had a new system put in in 2003. What happened the tech increased the fan spped a bit on a belt driven fan. So its sucking more air in. It only happens a little when it first goes on otherwise its fine

ash canning, oil canning,wowing,etc.... it all comes down to improper "cross breaking" to these "too light a metal" ducts or fittings. Probably 30 ga ( thin as tissue paper) instead of 28/ 26 ga. galv iron.
    Find these noisy ducts and reinforce across the large width with some 16 ga angle steel.

Its not the ducts its the sides of the termopride unit that briefly suck in where fan is, It only happens when fan comes on i guess when suction is greatest then its fine. I will look into it, but getting someone around here with knowledge may be difficult. It took four different techs and me being out of alot of money till i found a connector tube damage.

It's an indication of improper air flow,if so it could be the the cause of death of the furnace before it becomes a teenager.

Call around ask,"can you test the External Static Pressure of my duct system",keep calling till you find find someone.

At the very least have the installing contractor test and verify proper temperature rise,to avoid damage.

The installing contractor ripped me off i would never call him. This system was put in in oct 2003. That jerks warranty expired a year later and one month in when i was having problems he said call your oil man. I had 3 techs here who were totally brainless.

Well,sorry to hear that,just call around and ask what I suggested,or post your city/state and someone here may be in the area or know of a great contractor to call.

pushes outward

Well i have called around, boy is it a tuff world out there. If the people you talk to ask if they put the system in and you say they didn't put the system in etc etc, no one wants anything to do with you. Anyhow i went in the cellar and tried to analyze the problem again. What it does (thermopride lowboy oil furnace -belt driven) unit goes on warms up then the belt driven blower comes on to blow the warm air out and thats when the (one metal side of the unit pushes out slightly ( i thought in) Its as if the side of the unit itself is not stretched tight enough on the side so possibly thats why when the air is sucked through it sucks out. Do you still think its a return air problem. I have called around but it may be a tuff call getting anyone here. Also its very brief when it happens.Its like if you take a large thin piece of metal or tin and shake it you'll get that tinny noise. Thought I'd give this a go. Thanks for listening.

Could be a suppy duct problem,too much resistance in either will cause low air f low/

What's the temperature at the return and the closest supply grille after it runs 10 minutes?

[Edited by dash on 11-02-2005 at 03:06 PM]

I read your other post about the meatheads that couldn't find/fix an oil leak. You really need to find a good company,as by now you know the expense of three bad ones= one good one. You have either a duct problem, or poor metal on your furnace. You need a static pressure test as was told to you. Keep calling, sooner or later you'll reach someone who doesn't have there head in the sand. Ask nicely, and be prepared to pay for a service call. Ask to talk to the service manager instead of the secretary...
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast