Something else on my new hvac install was just called to my attention and I want to see what some of the pros here think. I have an Ameristar furnace (AS - CDX080A942A) in a horizontal installation w/airflow running left to right. I have a Honeywell Enviracaire Elite media air filter (F150E) installed just upwind of the blower. Just upwind of that is the humidifier, a Honeywell Enviracaire Elite (HE225A), that's plugged directly into the return side w/a duct running from itsd over to the supply side. This set up would appear to draw warm air (in the winter) through the humidifier and into the return duct. Wouldn't it be better to install the humidifier in such a way that freshly humidified (that is, wet) air is not drawn right through the filter and then through the heat exchanger? Won't this clog up the filter and potentially damage the furnace?

all by-pass humidifiers put humidified air into return.

Is it also normal on a by-pass set up to draw humidified air through the filter? Won't this clog it up?

not if humidifier is properly mantained. most minerals and crud stay on humidifier pad.

Hadn't even thought of that... I was more thinking that the moisture from humidified air would dampen the air filter, which is installed between humidifier and blower. And the damp air filter would decrease air flow and strain the blower, not to mention wear out the air filter faster.

The extent of "humidified air" being drawn into the filter, blower,and then thru the exchanger,etc will have no adverse effect on any of the unit's components what-so-ever. Hopefully it will have an effect as to the RH level thru-out the home. Afterall, that's what it's for.

Well that's good to know. I've had enough problems w/this install w/out having to worry about that too. Thanks for the responses - much appreciated!