Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lennox Problems

Originally posted by judlyjetson

I reiterate that it works just fine for about 5 to 10 minutes and then shuts down but does not turn back on again which is why I didn't think pushing the switch in to turn it back on was a problem.
    This is what scares me about this forum.

. Thanks to the people who have given their advice here I have stopped that behavior.

This is what's good about this forum
    Sometimes there are compounding complexities of multiple variables that are not intuitively obvious

It is good that you stopped resetting that limit.

Whatever your furnace is doing, it is a potentially dangerous situation. They put manual reset safety controls in so that the furnace shuts off and stays off, untill the system is checked out.

Never reset a safety control more than once without getting the problem resolved.

Hopefully it is something simple, like a birds nest in the vent pipe, rather than a leaking heat exchanger.

I have a customer that has a problem with birds building a nest in his vent pipe every spring. He won't pay me to install a bird proof cap for him, and he always forgets about it untill the limit switch on the draft hood trips, lol.
    He figured out how to reset the limit and clean the vent pipe out himself though.

[Edited by mark beiser on 10-31-2005 at 01:57 PM]
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I worked on a G20 last week, it had a flame rolling around the burner.
    I pulled the combustion compartment away, and found the center cell of the heat exchanger full of rust.
    It was blocking the passage of gas out of the burner, it caused a hole to rust in the end of the burner.

I don't see the stat causing a unit to shut down and the need to reset a safty.

Venting comes to mind.
    But back to guy who said your heat exchangers is cracked and you may need a unit next yr.
    If it's bad it needs dealt with this yr, I would not call him back.

As stated before the ht exgr should be under warranty.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Summit,

I agree with you that too much information in the wrong hands can be a bad thing even for good people. However, I learned the behavior after watching three different gentlemen from the professional field push the very same switch over and over again. So, while my repeating the behavior may be wrong (along the same path of well they did it so why can't I...) it's not as if I were completely incompetent. I agree that I know nothing about the systems that you guys work on day in and day out, I'm not debating that. What I'm trying to do is educate myself about the system enough so that I can avoid a HVAC guy who is going to turn it on, say that it needed to heat up and remove the backdraft from the system and it will work fine and then charge me an ungodly sum for not solving any problem. I'll easily pay twice that if a guy or gal will come in and determine the problem correctly the first time and explain and show me the problems and what I'm facing and then explain the different courses of action. I don't quite think they have ads for that in the newspaper though...

I'll easily pay twice that if a guy or gal will come in and determine the problem correctly the first time and explain and show me the problems and what I'm facing and then explain the different courses of action.
    I wish that were true with every customer. To many people out there complain about the bill when someone competent, who has and uses the proper diagnostic tools, comes out and finds the actual problem.

To many people out there expecting a "free 2nd opinon".

I'll gladly go give someone a proposal for equipment replacement for free, but I'll be damned if I'm gona pack my tools in and do any diagnostic work for free.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Well,

A big thank you to all of you who have offered advice on this forum and my rather lengthy posting. I appreciate your help and wisdom in guiding me to what I hope will eventually be the right answer. I'm awaiting a call back from a Nate certified Lennox dealer, so I'm hoping, HOPING, that it all works out.

You guys and gals have been great, and while I hope that you enjoy your forums, I hope to never have to use them again. Take care,

Jud Wible...

Well,

I'm awaiting a call back from a Nate certified Lennox dealer, so I'm hoping, HOPING, that it all works out.

let us know what happens.

Originally posted by jacob perkins
    Well,

I'm awaiting a call back from a Nate certified Lennox dealer, so I'm hoping, HOPING, that it all works out.

let us know what happens.
    Yea, you can't leave now. We will hunt you down and drink beer while sitting on your front stoop.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

C'mon couch taters, Isn't a G20 the Whisper Quiet G8? So if ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12