Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi just have a quick question .Im in N.J. and im helping my brother inlaw put up log cabbin and we are trying to decide how to heat it.It is going to have ac also. the problem is that there is no natural gas to the area and we cant decide on direct vent oil burner or heat pump.Has anyone out there done this before and if so what would be the best way to go for a forced hot air system

Thumbs up Complete Design and Selection

Originally posted by coolcray3
    Im in N.J. ...
    helping my brother inlaw put up log cabin

It is going to have AC also.
    The problem is that there is no natural gas to the area and
    we cant decide on direct vent oil burner or heat pump.
    H.P.!

Electric $0.12/ kW
    $3.52 per Therm straight electric

with C.O.P. 3.0
    $1.17 per Therm effective down to balance point (25-30'F).

Oil $2.00/gallon ...
    90,000 BTUh IN x 90% Efficiency = 80,000 or 0.8 Therm
    =$2.50 Per therm

Oil costs ~2X electric heat pump at >~25'F
    Electric Aux Heat at < 20'F will cost More.

Complete $ analysis with selected high efficiency equipment and weather data would tell the whole story.

Log Cabin size 1,500 ?
    Windows __?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

I did a log cabin years ago and installed a 2 stage HP. It was probably 9 years ago, Still working like a champ as far as I know. The insualtion of a log cabin is pretty good, the problem is when you let it get cold (if unoccupied and unheated), there is alot of mass to warm up.

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    go with a small wood boiler with an electric back-up boiler, and use a hydronic air handler.2 stage HP is good too. Have you thought about a geothermal HP? You could think about an HE oil or propane hot water tank and a hydronic air handler.

If this is for year round use, I'd look to do radiant flooring. Get an oil boiler and an indirect tank for hot water. Maybe you can just use one or two mini-splits. AC ductwork would probably have to be exposed in most of the home.

its a log cabin ...put a wood stove in it

Thanks for the info. Im still undecided the cabin is about 1800 sq ft including the basement which will probably be finished later on and has about 10 windows and a sliding door and 1 entry door and will be lived in all year round.My brother has a new oil tank and a new electric hot water heater from the exsisting home on the property which will be torn down afterwards.Also the cabin is going to be wide open except for some partition walls which the upstairs hits will be hidden in and the trunk will be no problem in the basement with 9ft cieling so it is going to be direct vent oil or heat pump just thought some one out there might have installed both systems in my area and could give me some info on what the cost would be to run the heat over the winter. he keeps his thermostat set at 68 degrees and that is it.

oil

Do not put a direct vent oil in there . Only put an oil furnace into a chimmey . Youd be real sorry for that mistake . Bh
    My avatar is a picture of a Goodman Silencer .....These were commonly used in Goodman country ....Photos by hvac tech ( PaysonHVAC )

thanks that is what i wanted to hear. we were just trying to get away from having to spend the money on a chimney just for the heater.is it possible to vent a fire place and a oil burner out of the same chimney. I think the fire place s one that vents with the tripple wall vent system

If you're building a chimney anyway, no reason you can't have 2 flue pipes in the same stack. With a wide open floor plan and high open ceilings, you should look at radiant heating. A hot air system in high ceilings will be spending fuel to heat the ceiling spaces, not down at floor level. The oil fired boiler will be able to heat your domestic hot water when you sick of running out of from your elecric HWH.

the only problem with that is the second floor bedroom and bath wil tend to be cold and i still have to put ac in the whole house including the basement when it is finished.

the first floor is going to have all floor registers and the basement is going to be heated also so im not to worried about the heat down stairs as much as the air upstairs but just cant see spending for a chiminey for just the heater thats why i was wondering if the heat pump would be able to keep up with the winters we get or if it would put me in the poor house with the electric bill.

Poor house and you'll be cold. If it snows and/or you see single digits sometimes, I think you need duel fuel. No question the HP will carry you in spring and fall but in a nasty winter, forget it. What about LP? Easy to direct vent. I wouldn't pick my new heating system for my new home just based on what-ever left over stuff someone had to save a few hundred bucks. I still say direct venting oil is an option if you have a side of the house without any windows or wind issues.

Your upstairs bath will need pipes so running an extra pair of 3/4" PEX tubing can't be an issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast