Hello all,

I'm building a house in Minnesota. I'm thinking about putting hydronic heating in my basement and garage. I have a contractor that is willing to do both, but I have a couple of questions about the garage. How long would it take to warm up? I know this probably depends on a number of factors, such as garage size, insulation, and outside temp. It will be a 3 car, with 2x6 insulated walls and ceiling, and say the outside temp is 20F. Would it take 1 day, or 1 week, or ???

My second question is, should I ask the contractor to put the tubing closer together? I'm not sure if there's a standard spacing, but maybe I should have him double it? Would that help, or am I limited by the output of my heater?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Joe

He should make the garage a seprate zone with a HW to glycol heat exchanger. Trust me,I've repaired a few busted tubes and manifolds because the homeowner had walmartitis and used the cheap bidder.Don't let a hack put your garage directly on the houses hot water system.
    Some people swear by me and some at me

Good point, it will be on a separate zone. Since I won't be running the system all the time (only when I need to do some work in the garage), I'm concerned that it will take too long to warm up.

Joe

That will depend on how well the garage is insulated and how warm of water you flow through that zone and how warm you want the garage to get/stay and how cold you let it get before you warm it back up.
    Some people swear by me and some at me

It will take about 4 hours to raise a slab about 8 degrees IME. Depends on some factors of course.

Where are you located?
    You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...

http://rapalaguy.spaces.live.com/

I would say once you had the garage slab warmed up, keep it warm.

You could set the temperature in the garage low like maybe 60F, then set the temperature up a few degrees if you wanted to work on the car. The slab would warm up before the room air, if you are laying on the slab trying to work on the car it would most likely feel warm even tho it was taking time for the air temp to respond.

If you want on off heat in the garage, hang a unit heater in there, it will warm the air up quick but will be cool if you are laying on that slab.

The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Other option would be a tube heater instead of a unit heater.

Use both, unit heater and slab heat.

Have the slab as primary, and the unit as secondary, it will allow you to set the temp back, and still have quick recovery.

Doesn't matter how much radiant you put in the slab, you can only make concrete so warm, before you destroy it.(excelarate)
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

garage heat

If your thoughts are just heating garage occasionaly, I would
    strongly consider hydronic fan unit ( Modine or other brand),
    zoned by itself and system winterized.
    Advantages:1) You do not have to maintain low temp in garage.
    (costly with todays fuel prices).2)Recovery would be very fast,compared to radiant or other.
    Just my opinion
    Wally