Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hotel HVAC

Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    sorry for jacking your thread 99% of hotels in Manhattan built during the construction boom in NYC in the 80s are electric driver chillers CVHEs or Trane Absorption with chilled water built up AHUs and fan coils within each suite..even the hi-rise residentials back then...now everything is dedicated PTACs with hot water or steam coils on top for heat or condenser water piped to each unit...and a ton of those Mammoth WSHPs depending on the designers of the fllors PTACs are not design friendly.new condos in the city run water cooled PTACs and then drop the tower down in the winter and use Con Ed steam heat exchangers to maintain the loop water during the winter for heating the condos...
    Interesting post as well. I like reading about how different cities do air cond and NYC is certainly a leader.

In Little Rock the bigger and nicer hotels (older) will have centrifugal or screw chilled water , air handlers for common areas and fan coils for rooms , either upright in closet , horizontal in ceiling with access panel , or console. Most of the good ones run a 4 pipe with hot water.

PTAC's (heat pump) in entry level hotels.

New nicer hotels will ALL be wshp.

Come to think of it , EVERYTHING newer is wshp. No one is willing to outlay the capital for chillers anymore , they see the on paper beny's of a wshp bldg and think it is a no brainer. What they dont understand however , is that the common area's suffer b/c the units arent big enough , and when the load is extreme like now , the system wont keep up , meanwhile , people in the chiller bldgs with big a/h's are sipin' martini's at 68F without sweat beading on the forehead.

Quote Originally Posted by AiResearch View Post
    Interesting post as well. I like reading about how different cities do air cond and NYC is certainly a leader.

In Little Rock the bigger and nicer hotels (older) will have centrifugal or screw chilled water , air handlers for common areas and fan coils for rooms , either upright in closet , horizontal in ceiling with access panel , or console. Most of the good ones run a 4 pipe with hot water.

PTAC's (heat pump) in entry level hotels.

New nicer hotels will ALL be wshp.

Come to think of it , EVERYTHING newer is wshp. No one is willing to outlay the capital for chillers anymore , they see the on paper beny's of a wshp bldg and think it is a no brainer. What they dont understand however , is that the common area's suffer b/c the units arent big enough , and when the load is extreme like now , the system wont keep up , meanwhile , people in the chiller bldgs with big a/h's are sipin' martini's at 68F without sweat beading on the forehead.
    Are there any NEW hotels being built today, using central plants??

Quote Originally Posted by MHall View Post
    Are there any NEW hotels being built today, using central plants??
    Yes, all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    Yes, all the time.
    Know of any interesting examples??

Just about every Hilton.

MHall, I see from reading your many posts in the other threads that you are under the impression that central chilled water plants aren't built anymore or are rarely built. That simply isn't the case. In my part of the country, just about all new schools, office buildings, hotels, hospitals, universities, sports arenas, and other large buildings have central chilled water plants. I work for one of the big 3 manufacturers and do new chiller startups all the time. They are more efficient than package units and it isn't feasible to put package units in the large buildings.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...s-north-hotel/

This is the one I mentioned that has a Carrier air cooled chiller for the hotel. The adjoining conference center has RTUs.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...s-north-hotel/

This is the one I mentioned that has a Carrier air cooled chiller for the hotel. The adjoining conference center has RTUs.
    It would be interesting to see a link to a new hotel project with a central plant, as PTCAs seemed to be used 99% of the time. Boilers for hydronic heating seem to a very rare occurrence today, especially in hotels.

Baldlonnie; how NEW was the new hotel you mentioned that used chilled water. I know many hotels/ buildings built in the 1950s/60s used that type of system, however I'm not sure how many today do

The Renaissance near us was built 2-3 years ago.

AiResearch

you have to see the DONALD...as in TRUMP with his buildings hi end residentials $5-$10 million dollar ranges PTACs all the way around with a CB panel per suite/condo and the owner pays the bill.he used Ice-Caps in that east side black condo hi rise..and rumor had it they went out of business where his engineers wanted 10% stored change outs as part of the install.they didn't even run a condensate riser with the units slinging the condensate out the condenser fan section...2 Cleaver Brooks boilers gas fired...couple of rooftops for gyms,lobby and common areas ..and off he goes to his next The Apprentice show.big chillers and recip package units over 50 tons call for a local 94 union engineer and coffee pot making $80,000 a yr...not happening with Trump http://www.trumpworldtower.com/index.html
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    you have to see the DONALD...as in TRUMP with his buildings hi end residentials $5-$10 million dollar ranges PTACs all the way around with a CB panel per suite/condo and the owner pays the bill.he used Ice-Caps in that east side black condo hi rise..and rumor had it they went out of business where his engineers wanted 10% stored change outs as part of the install.they didn't even run a condensate riser with the units slinging the condensate out the condenser fan section...2 Cleaver Brooks boilers gas fired...couple of rooftops for gyms,lobby and common areas ..and off he goes to his next The Apprentice show.big chillers and recip package units over 50 tons call for a local 94 union engineer and coffee pot making $80,000 a yr...not happening with Trump http://www.trumpworldtower.com/index.html
    I'm not sure I follow you on this particular post. Okay so the trump high end resi tower is air cond by ptac's? Ice-Caps? Through wall units????? No condensate riser? Really?? Could you please explain more?

PTACs mount in sleeves with compressors and fan motor for cond/evap double shafts...condensates off the evap coil isn't drained into a pan and drains down a riser pipe it drips out into the condenser section and is slung and evapt in the off cycle
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast