Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hotel HVAC

i did a pair of Carrier Hellical screw split air cooled s/u in a Queens PS off Northern...man they are serious about oil delievery to those hellicals i thought it was water cooled when i hit the MER with that oil looking condenser receiver.then walked out onto the roof and four condensers
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Quote Originally Posted by maxster View Post
    i did a pair of Carrier Hellical screw split air cooled s/u in a Queens PS off Northern...man they are serious about oil delievery to those hellicals i thought it was water cooled when i hit the MER with that oil looking condenser receiver.then walked out onto the roof and four condensers
    Interesting.

Condenserless screw in mech room and remote air cooled cond on roof.

It makes sense from several perspectives.

If the bldg requires air cooled equip.

When I started out in the 1970's Carrier was the top seller by far in NYC,one of my first jobs was with a very good Carrier dealer.At that time Carrier units had the most controls,many others much more easy.It was always said if you can work on Carrier you can work on the them all. Carrier had many good books , I would read. To this day i think working on Carriers then made me better.

Traditional Carrier Corp. is (was) the undisputed pioneer and authority in air condtioning.

Their literature is unrivaled.

They wrote the book and yes , agree , their equipment almost always had the best control scheme and components.

I dont know about this new stuff they are putting out and the general corp attitude these days , along with them hiring anyone for customer assurance and technical representation.

I worked in hotels for years. Mostly PTACs in guest rooms.

I'm not sure why they were chosen by the architect but there are a couple of operational advantages:

If you oversize them (they all are grossly oversized) the guest gets heat or cooling within a few minutes of getting to the room. Constant mold and mildew problems but the guest is immediatly comfortable.

When one goes bad, you just roll a new one into the guest room and swap them. The guest is inconvenienced for only 10 minutes which is better than asking a guest to change rooms.
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

Thanks for the Replies

However the question still remains; Do any hotels at all, used chilled water systems??

Are PTACs the only option when it comes to this type of facility??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MHall View Post
    However the question still remains; Do any hotels at all, used chilled water systems?? Yes

Are PTACs the only option when it comes to this type of facility?? NO

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MHall View Post
    However the question still remains; Do any hotels at all, used chilled water systems??

Are PTACs the only option when it comes to this type of facility??

Thanks
    If you read this entire thread, you'll see your question has been answered.

As we said, depends upon the quality of the joint. A high end place won't throw a rattletrap PTAC in the room for the most part, especially if they build a new one. There's a new Renaissance I drive by every day. Carrier air cooled chiller behind it. For that kind of money, they want the system to be QUIET! The new 40 story JW Marriott in downtown Indy (come to Comfortech, you'll see it) has chilled water from the district energy plant. There's actually 4 Marriott hotels in that complex. All but the lowest priced place have chilled water fan coils. All of the hotels downtown are chilled water or loop heat pumps. The Embassy Suites just tapped into the district system rather than replace their old chillers. The Westin, Hyatt & standard Marriott are on the district loop. Some of the older ones have their own chillers.

Below is a view of some of the towers for the main chilled water plant downtown. Note 2 cells on in this picture. This plant has a couple more towers. There are 2 more plants elsewhere plus another one being built for the big new hospital.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Interesting Mr. Loonie.

I bet York Titan centrifugals are running there.

I have been to Europe many times,they use chilled water ! Even asked to look at the hotels Chiller at at one in Rome,it had copelands .Stayed at one plastic hotel in Brussels think they had ptacs.

sorry for jacking your thread 99% of hotels in Manhattan built during the construction boom in NYC in the 80s are electric driver chillers CVHEs or Trane Absorption with chilled water built up AHUs and fan coils within each suite..even the hi-rise residentials back then...now everything is dedicated PTACs with hot water or steam coils on top for heat or condenser water piped to each unit...and a ton of those Mammoth WSHPs depending on the designers of the fllors PTACs are not design friendly.new condos in the city run water cooled PTACs and then drop the tower down in the winter and use Con Ed steam heat exchangers to maintain the loop water during the winter for heating the condos...
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Quote Originally Posted by AiResearch View Post
    Interesting Mr. Loonie.

I bet York Titan centrifugals are running there.
    Couple of years ago Mark Beiser had a tour of the plant. He said there were electrical and steam turbine driven chillers but I don't recall if he mentioned a brand.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast