Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hotel HVAC

Hotel HVAC

As I've said before, I'm new to commercial HVAC operations and design.

My question pertains to the systems in use within Hotel facilities.

What do hotels use to provide A/C and heating to guest rooms and common areas.

Most hotels I've seen use individual packaged units mounted near the windows. Is this the typical design in most hotels?

Are there any hotels which use central plants (chillers & boilers), or is this far less efficient then using individual packaged units room by room??

Thanks for your help.

Most good hotels use chillers,package units are too noisy. Most of the time package units are used because they are cheap. Package units are high maintenance,the pay back for being cheap.

Not trying to threadjack but...

Not trying to thread-jack, but this seems so close to the OP that I couldn't see starting another thread for it.

Are there any specific HVAC requirements, other than having HVAC, for the individual chains? I've noticed recently-built Residence Inns are all WSHP in the rooms. (I'll save my thoughts about WSHPs for another thread) The thing I found interesting about one particular one was that they used the exact same WSHP for every single location. They just used more of them in areas which needed more cooling.

Seems to me most new RI's use VTACs, a ducted PTAC.

I did stay in one built in a 100 year old department store building that did have WSHP.

But on the original post, PTACs are cheap and they don't have to have anyone around that knows anything but how to slide on out and another one in if it dies.

Also, many hotels that use chilled water have 2 pipe systems so there is a headache in switching between heat & cool. Won't have that with 4 pipe that that's more expensive. Buildings with chillers and boilers would have to have help that knows what they are doing, that's expensive too.

We just completed a 5 star hotel we used the Mitsubishi City MULTI VFR system capable of simultaeously heating and cooling multiple zones. However most hotels are using PTAC units as they are quick and easy to replace and relatively cheep. However in order to use PTAC units the guest rooms must have an exterior wall.

Around here most of the hotels, except for two high rise ones (a 14-15 story one and a 6 story one) use PTACs for rooms and maybe the hallways and gas packs for common areas and conference rooms and restaurants.

Like others have said, the PTACs are cheap and don't require any knowledge other than how to slide a broke one out and a working one in.
    I have been hired by hotels in the past to come by when they get5-10 broken ones and fix as many of them that are economically worth repairing.

There is another fellow, who I know, that comes by and gets the ones not worth repairing, sells the hotel refurbished ones, giving them a credit for the broken ones they give him and then takes them to his home shop and refurbishes them to start the cycle again.

I brought up the WSHP as the RI in Treasure Island, FL, and Manhattan (6th & 39th) both had them. The other RIs I stay in are older and have VTACs.

Central chiller/boilers are usually more efficient to run. Certainly more-so than PTACs, which are glorified window ACs. In theory, WSHPs use less electricity, but maintenance costs will eat you alive when they get past their serviceable life. The only time PTACs would be more efficient is if you have a hotel/motel with seasonal occupancy rates. If you're only running 15-30% occupancy in the off season, it's pricey to run the large chiller w/water loop.

Crowne Plaza,NYC

W47th St in Times Square http://www.cpmanhattantimessquare.com/ has 2 Trane Centra-Vacs from the 80s,and in 2008 all the air delivery systems were replaced.the Trane AHUs were replaced that served the lobbies,conference rooms,general customer atrium areas..all the rooms had a generic stand up chilled warer air handler electric heat mounted in the wall one per room multi in larger suites.the brand was very low end on the air handlers and they came with wireless stats that weren't friendly to the designers request for locations in each room...some had to leave the fan speed selector door open so it could read the signal...this place had 6 maint guys on the day shift and a total of 250 air handlers were being installed in the rooms....16 main air handlers built in place had chilled water and hot water coils,walk in fans,walk in filter sections standing up...to say it was fast track change outs would be a weak word..what a nightmare...some of the main built up AHUs were 100% OA right above Times Square you want to see the crap the filters tried to filter and the coils caught..Taxi exhaust black soot 4" pleated $$$ bucks signed the units off and exited the place like it was on fire
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px5YcOeQB4I

And we had a much smaller hotel on wast 45 with about 80 tons of roof tops at the bottom of a 10 story shaft closed on all sides .The rooms that faced the front had ceiling mount units,they did not want to cut out the front.Every room had some BS vav so the tenant had something play with .The cond also into the shaft.And ptac's droped like flys

i saw a hotel job in 2009 as a supervisor look see...and forgettaboutit they had 4 Mammoth air cooled package chillers 10 stories up just east of Times Square 6 copeland scrolled each you had to turn side ways to walk between the chillers...and it was 70F that day on the roof and the harmonics going up the adjacent buildings and across the street.....where there was nothing before on top of this placeLAWYERS and the place across from the new Mammoths was a first class hotel itself...sleeping with 24 scrolls running and the noise going out and up the condensers......and the killer they were 410A when the units were delivered on this non-union job,and left unattended in midtown somebody did a commando raid on the electrical and coils and compressors and the warrenty kicked in as they were curbed on the roof.

Those Mammoth air cooled chillers are a joke in NYC,with that 6ft x 10 in free cooling coil bolted on top of the condenser.

best i've seen with econos on Trane Air Cooled RTAAs the Kramer Condenser in series with the barrel on the air cooled chillers

I like carrier chillers !

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast