Post Likes

Question for HVAC guys who do plumbing

I'm sure the mods will delete this post if I'm out of line asking a plumbing question, but since many HVAC pro's also work for companies that do plumbing I thought maybe I could get some advice.

I'm going to be taking a vacation in a few weeks. My home has that awful polybuetylene piping and is about 15 years old - right about the time when those pipes tend to start failing. In fact some homes in my neighborhood have begun failing in the last few years. Anyway, I'm wondering if I should turn off the water before I depart. I'm concerned that allowing the lines to dry out while I'm gone might actually be prone to causing damage after I return. Or should I ALMOST turn off the water, allowing just enough to remain pressurized, or just take my chances and leave the water on?

What would you guys do??

Thanks,

Sonic

Post Likes
    I always turn off the water and my electric water heater before I go out of town.

jim
    Common sense isn't very common anymore.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=SonicExplorer;. I'm concerned that allowing the lines to dry out while I'm gone might actually be prone to causing damage after I return.
    What would you guys do??
    Sonic[/QUOTE]

If you turn the water off, the water lines will not dry out. It's a sealed system. Your faucets are the high point. Close your house supply shutoff valve and relieve the pressure at any faucet. Most homes have a valve where the line comes into the house underground. You can also shut it off at the water meter. Worst case scenario is the shutoff valve leaks a little and re-pressurizes the system. If a water line blows while your gone, the volume will be low. After closing the water valve, you can also leave a cold water faucet cracked. No pressure build up if the shut off valve is defective.

Post Likes
    Moved to the General forum. Here is where non HVAC topics are discussed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    I have a gas fired hot water heater and simply turn down the t-stat when we are out of town. Why maintain 120* water in a tank when no one is there using it?
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Post Likes
    I always shut off my main water supply when I am out of town. I have seen some bad floods from burst pipes.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    it's cheap insurance to shut the valve. I've seen 10s of thousands in damage that could have been prevented