White Rodgers Thermostat 1F95-1291 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I too have noticed mine gives humidity readings 3-10% above other digital hydrometers in my house. BTW what do you set your humidistat at for the summer? I've got mine set @ 55%.

Is there a simple way to do a "wetbulb test"? Can I just get a washcloth wet and run a fan over it to determine the wet-bulb temperature or is it more complicated than that? According to my "washcloth test" my thermostat is correct but my 3 other digital hydrometers ore off...

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    I too have noticed mine gives humidity readings 3-10% above other digital hydrometers in my house. BTW what do you set your humidistat at for the summer? I've got mine set @ 55%.

I simply recalibrated mine accordingly.

It hink the humidty level depends on how tight your house is and what your system is capable of. I set my upstairs sytem at 51% RH and my setpoint in the evening is 77F and 75F at night. Last night is cooled it down to 73F to maintin 51%.

Downstairs, the hosue is tighter and with reverse stack effect it's much dryer since msot infiltration comes from the upstairs. I set the temeprature at 82F in the afternoon, 77F the evening, 80F at night and 76F in hte morning. The humidty setpoint is 48%, but most of the time the humidity is between 36%-48% RH without slowing the fan speed. I think in the early fall it will need to slow the fan occassionally and overcool the space and the heat gain and run time drop.

I think anywhere from 45-55% is fine, but again it depends on you system and what it's capable of. You don't want it having to run with a reduced fan speed for 40 minutes and constantly overcooling the space.

Ideally, as recommended by white rodgers, you'd have a interlock with the indoor coil temp to prevent coil freezing. So it's worth watching your discharge air temps. if you're getting under 45F, you might have the humidty set too low and are risking the coil freezing.... or your airflows are too low. How cold the coil gets will depend on many factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Your words in red is why you made this conversion, if a home owner with limited knowledge had to hire a service company to perform this for them, the amount a service company would have to charge, you could almost buy a new VS furnace.
    Those Genteq motors are not cheap.
    Yes, if I had to pay a company to install them, the payback would have been long enough, that I'd be better off waiting a few years and just repalcing my furnaces.

My problem is that the furnaces are already condensing models and only 8 years old, while my AC condensors are 17 years old. Replacing all 4 units would be cost prohibitive. So installing the motors made sense to get better comfort and efficiency, and use the furnaces for another 5-8 years and hopefully the condensors survive until then.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123