Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Exclamation Instrument NOT calc

Quote Originally Posted by rickboggs View Post
    Hope you had a load calculation done. Then you can know if that equipment is a good match for your home.
    You might just need them to lower the air flow to remove more moisture.
    A hygrometer will do!
    Then you'll KNOW if R.H. is consistently maintained < 50%.

Calcs do NOT measure ACTUAL Relative Humidity.

___
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

I went to look at the energy tax credit sheet they provided me and the models that I received were listed on the paperwork so maybe they gave me those models so I could qualify for the tax credits at the time. At this point I do realize its been 2 years but if I paid for 5 tons and only received 4 tons then perhaps I should be compensated for it.

I kinda did that just recently with data logger. We tracked the temperature and relative humidity and adjusted fan speed and fresh air accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyclass View Post
    I went to look at the energy tax credit sheet they provided me and the models that I received were listed on the paperwork so maybe they gave me those models so I could qualify for the tax credits at the time. At this point I do realize its been 2 years but if I paid for 5 tons and only received 4 tons then perhaps I should be compensated for it.
    That's very possible. many of the qualifying matches listed 4 ton condensers, 5 ton coils & a huge furnace- especially on the 3 tonners.
    Depends on what was sold at the time. Perhaps they sold you a qualifying system for your home. There were very few 5 ton matched systems that qualified- and no Rheem/Ruud's at all.

If it's been doing the job for 2 years, I wouldn't worry about it. Much of this might be the fact you now realize you got a 4 ton condenser & you think it's not cooling as well.

Red face Digging a Hole for One$elf ! !!

ASK and YOU Shall Receive
    ... a bill for $1,200

which represents the difference in rebates that You Would NOT have received and the slight difference in equipment wholesale costs.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Cool Cool to dehumidify

It sounds like with the high humidity in the house. A new T-stat with cool to dehumidify would work well.

I think what Rick meant was a load calc to see if the 4 ton vs original 5 ton condenser was adaquate.

The owner of the company came out and looked at the system and was baffled about what happened. My parents explained how certain nights they feel sweaty and said they didn't think there should be a more than half a ton difference in the condenser and air handler. The owner said that's correct he said he would get it taken care of and will install a new 5 ton condenser unit to match the air handler.

I chose this company because of their honesty in the first place and I think for them to come out 2 years later and acknowledge and correct their mistake is awesome!

Now my question is since they will replace the 4 ton unit with a 5 ton unit of the same series will I notice higher electric bills? It was nice paying lower electric bills.

It was a matching system.

It got you the tax credits.

If the 4 ton kept up for the last 2 years-it is probably a closer right size than the 5 ton.

If the 4 ton had long run times and kept the house cool, it will be definately more efficient than an oversized 5 ton that doesn't run long

The owner of the company came out and looked at the system and was baffled about what happened. My parents explained how certain nights they feel sweaty and said they didn't think there should be a more than half a ton difference in the condenser and air handler. The owner said that's correct he said he would get it taken care of and will install a new 5 ton condenser unit to match the air handler.

I chose this company because of their honesty in the first place and I think for them to come out 2 years later and acknowledge and correct their mistake is awesome!

Now my question is since they will replace the 4 ton unit with a 5 ton unit of the same series will I notice higher electric bills? It was nice paying lower electric bills.
    Changing the equipment would be foolish. As Beshvac said, you have a 4 ton 15 SEER system, you are going to install a 5 ton 14.25 SEER system. The 5 ton will run less, cost more, you'll need to return your tax credit and your parents will have more sweaty nights. Lower the fan speed and install a thermostat with a dehumidification feature.

Install a ceiling fan over the parents bed. A slow steady movement of air over them will take care of night sweats.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

I'd keep the 4 toon and look into a thermostat that monitors humidity and can reduce the fan speed to dehumidify. Sometimes if you can reduce the humidity, it's a win-win situation. You'll be more comfortable AND have lower bills.

Adding a ceiling fan is always helpful. In our current home we're comfy at 75F because it's only 45-48% humidity. In our last home we have to keep it 71-72 all night because it rarely was below even 55% RH because the unit was oversized.

You're bills will likely go up significantly for the same comfort level with a larger unit.

What isn't helping you however, is that larger coil of that oversized 5 ton air handler.. Good for effeciency, not as good for humidity reduction.

When the system was initially installed we had complained the air didn't feel good at the desired temp. They came back a week later after the install and said there were a few leaks that was pulling air in from the attic so they sealed it and it felt a little better. I have an old tstat just laying on a table and its measuring the humidity at 35% but the air still doesn't feel as comfortable as the old system did. What kind of tstat can I look into for my system that will communicate with my system based on the humidity?

Maybe I'll have the company try installing a better tstat before installing the 5-ton system. My parents are still in the mind set I paid for a 5-ton i want a 5-ton. On the other hand they are greatful their electric bill is 150 dollars on avg cheaper.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast