Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HVAC Tonage question

Home had an existing Trane 5 ton system. Back in 2009 we had the system replaced to get a more efficient unit and take advantage of tax credits. Electric bill use to be 300+ now we are only paying 150-200 which is great!

The proposal was to replace it with another 5 ton system model #s 4TEE3F60 and 4TWR5060. From my understanding these are both 5 ton units. I just now noticed the units that were installed was 4TEE3F65 and 4TWR5048. I believe this is a 4 ton condenser and 5.4 ton air handler?

Before I go back and question what happened with the install I just wanted to know if this was okay to do. From my understanding the AHU should not exceed more than .5 ton than the condenser unit. The system has been saving us money but the quality of the air didn't seem as comfortable as the previous unit in terms of humidity.

Please give me any thoughts about this situation. Thanks!

Interesting to know why you didn't get another 5 ton but sounds like you didn't need one!

Someone has some explaining to do, that's for sure. Good luck getting a straight answer.

So it's pretty safe to assume 4 ton condenser with 5.4 ton air handler is a no no?

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyclass View Post
    So it's pretty safe to assume 4 ton condenser with 5.4 ton air handler is a no no?
    Too bad for the new * rules..
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

No, that is a good match.

Alright guys thanks for the input I'm going to just question why they decided to install different equipment from what the proposal said.

We always verify the model numbers on the system, with the numbers on the proposal with the home owners before they even pay, it just become a habit, but it's a good habit.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Alright guys thanks for the input I'm going to just question why they decided to install different equipment from what the proposal said.
    FYI, I have seen the supply house load the wrong equipment, so it could have just been an honest mistake, and they did not even realize it, but still you should be compensated for what you did not get. All these unit's are so big now days, and some different tonnages look physically the same, when I was a kid, many,many moons ago, you could see the difference from a 2 ton to a 3 ton.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

That 5 ton doesn't show to qualify for the tax credit (It's possible it's been rerated since it was bid in 2009). The 4 ton using the 4TEE3F65B1 does qualify for the tax credit currently and probably did then as well.

I'd say the sales guy was in error (easy mistake to make) and they choose to install the 4 ton system instead. You'll have to consult the dealer about the discripency in what was installed in addition to any discomfort issues you may have.

Frankly, it's been two years since the install and to bring up discripencies like this now is a tough pill to swallow for a dealer. If they deliberately tried to deceive you on the final invoice calling it a 5 ton...then they should take care of it but might choose to ignore it and hope it goes away.
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"-Dr. Strangelove (1964)

Hope you had a load calculation done. Then you can know if that equipment is a good match for your home. You might just need them to lower the air flow to remove more moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by rickboggs View Post
    Hope you had a load calculation done. Then you can know if that equipment is a good match for your home. You might just need them to lower the air flow to remove more moisture.

Good catch! that's a good thought with the setup he has, especially if he is in a humid area.

Humidity

As for the mismatched tonnage the manufacturer could tell you if this is acceptable. The increased humidity can be helped by slowing down the fan speed. If you want better control of the humidity a humidistat can be installed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast