Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Yeah. Sounds good I suppose. But I prefer to keep it real. Instead of making up a law I tell them that they'll be an effing and possibly dead moron if they continue to use a dangerous furnace.

Well... OK. So I don't say it exactly that way.

Ya Shoulda smacked that slumlord with the bucket

Every landlord I ever did work for was a cheap bastard. One oil furnace was for his elderly mothers' house and he wouldn't allow me to make the necessary repairs. The blast tube was melted and making a terrible flame and sooting up.
    He wanted it to last a couple more months because he was selling the property (yeah right).

Talking

i know just the type you mean

In ohio you cannot shut a unit down by law.

Hmm

In all states you can shut a unit down by throwing a switch!
    AJS

Always tell the truth and you never have to remember what you! said!

Ran into a problem customer with a cracked HX once, First off just shutting off the switch or turning off the gas valve is not good enough, think about it, the owners a clueless jerk and you know he’ll start the furnace up again! Do you really want the liability if someone dies? Pull the gas line, disable with control wiring and document all of it!
    As for the guy getting in your face and not letting you back in……call the cops and file a report.
    We also send a copy of the work order and a letter to the local construction office and fire dept.

Ask your boss to quote a sump pump with the new furnace..lol
    Good Luck

You definately cannot go around yanking control wires or disconnecting gas lines, that wiill more likley result in someone trying to reconnect them and hurt themselves or worse, all you can do, is turn the gass valve off, and turn the disconnect off. More importantly, you better be working on a solution to their problem (estimate for replacing HX or furnace), flipping the switch and running doesnt cut it.

It's an interesting legal question. I wish I knew the answer as it applies locally. Our utility company has a standing policy of disconnecting the gas flex connector and capping the gas cock anytime the seminar technician sees something he doesn't like or doesn't understand.

Our company rules are to notify the homeowner. In your case we are told to notify the gas company of what we feel is an unsafe situation. Mark paperwork customer refused to sign and leave copy in the door. Get a name from the gas company who you notified. If you don't leave any copy, whose to say you discussed anything at all? If you don't have a name whose to say the call was made. Isn't it totally ironic the better you are at doing your job the more idiots hate you for doing it and its also your fault the heat exchanger cracked, don't ask me how I just know it is. It's like being married when pms rolls around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12