I have been reading this forum for weeks and have found a lot of invaluable information. But I have another question.

With a 1-stage HP & 2-stage fossil fuel furnace, which thermostats have been proven to use HP for first heat, low furnace for second heat and high furnace for maximum heat?
    I am purchasing Trane, so Visionpro/XL800 is preferred. But it is reported not to provide the functions needed. Also read one homeowner report that White-Rodgers 900 did not provide functions after system was installed.

So what do you think? I have to order in 2 days (Monday) to get Trane rebates.

Thanks guys. Keep up the outstanding work!

My dual fuel kit consists of a $5 relay. I have a 3 stage HP stat (RS 9710). 1st stage is heat pump, 2nd stage is low fire, 3rd stage is high fire. No outdoor stat, if I want the pump off, I go to em heat. In mild weather, I have a toggle switch that keeps gas backup off.

Robo posted a schematic of the Goodman dual fuel kit. As I recall, it supports 2 stage backup. Get a 3 stage HP stat (VP ain't it), this kit and an outdoor stat.

I cannot imagine the temperature swings you would see with such a set up. If its that cold, allow the timing for second stage to do the work.

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    Robo posted a schematic of the Goodman dual fuel kit.
    Thanks Bald. I searched for Robo information and found "http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=65070 with his "wire it like this" instructions and a link to a Goodman manual.
    Originally posted by docholiday
    I cannot imagine the temperature swings you would see with such a set up.
    I guess I did not understand some of the things I have read. I thought this is how it should be done if you did not use electrical backup.