Thread: I hate insomnia

I hate insomnia

Off to bed at 11 or 12 and up a 3:30 or 4 O'clock every single morning. I would pay really good money for a solid 12 hours or just to beable to use my alarm clock I stuck away somewhere 10 years ago when I couldn't sleep longer than 4 hours a night. I can usally function on 4 hours but 6 is better with the hot afternoons we have been having. I only got 2 hours of sleep last night, and 2 the night before that, at this rate I should be a walking zombie just in time for work monday morning. I really hate taking pills but I think It's about time to put an end to this mental fog I'm in half the time due to exhaustion. Maybe I'll just go to the liquor store when it opens, get me a 750 of Crown and drink till I pass out.

Take a couple GRAVOL , works great

I am up at 4:30-5am every day, weekends and vacation and even on my honeymoon when I got married.
    No matter if I go to bed at 10pm or 3am.

I had a real bad case of insomnia a few years ago and the doctor had me do the routine bedtime etc etc, then tried the various sleeping pills (all which worked, but I couldn't deal with the way I felt in the mornings) then he tried an anti-anxiety medication as it is listed off label for insomnia. It is pretty addictive, so they usually don't prescribe it off label much, but he was an old county doctor who was concerned with getting me fixed.

Took it on and off for about 3 months, and finally got my sleep cycle back in gear. Now a days I go to bed around 12-1am and am up at 4:30-5am everyday. Some nights I might go to bed earlier, but usually never before 11pm.

I've been working a rotating shift for over 16 years now.

Don't know a normal sleep cycle.

Sleep about 4 - 6 hours at a shot.
    Have a 'sleep' room. Dark, fans, white noise, etc.

Doctor said it will take its toll later in my life.
    They are probably right.

59 today; eat, drink, be merry...

You really need to see a doctor, and get some blood work done. Lots of things can cause this condition. PM me. I can offer a lot of info on this topic.
    Drinking is the worst thing to do in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    You really need to see a doctor, and get some blood work done. Lots of things can cause this condition. PM me. I can offer a lot of info on this topic.
    Drinking is the worst thing to do in this case.
    I would say that sleeping less than maybe 7 hrs. a night is dangerous for work or even driving. It may vary with the individual, but 2 hrs. a night is just way too little. I would suggest a doctor too.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    I would say that sleeping less than maybe 7 hrs. a night is dangerous for work or even driving. It may vary with the individual, but 2 hrs. a night is just way too little. I would suggest a doctor too.
    What I wouldn't give to have 7 consecutive hours of sleep. Honestly, I'd settle for 6, and be a happy camper.More than 4, hasn't happened for me, since the mid 90's.
    I could almost write a book on the side effects of sleep deprivation. All the side effects are bad, not single one of 'em is good.

Meh.
    I function fine a long as I get 4-5 hours a night.
    YMMV though.
    Saw a study on folks who only sleep 4 hours a night and show no signs of stress or problems from it.
    Will look for it tomorrow as the current WTFE will be here shortly.