Thread: filter dryer

where s the most correct place to put a liquid filter dryer in a heat pump system...once a house is ruffed in the unit may sit there while and doesnt make any sense to install on ruff in my guys seem to hae a hrd time clossing the line shut
    and filling with nitrogen so when trim guy sets equipment he complains about installing at the air handler with the promblems that weve had with carbon should i require the start tech to crankit in heat so the the carbon goes into dryer or am just keep them installig at coil which is most correct soltion

Originally posted by hvacsavannah
    where s the most correct place to put a liquid filter dryer in a heat pump system...once a house is ruffed in the unit may sit there while and doesnt make any sense to install on ruff in my guys seem to hae a hrd time clossing the line shut
    and filling with nitrogen so when trim guy sets equipment he complains about installing at the air handler with the promblems that weve had with carbon should i require the start tech to crankit in heat so the the carbon goes into dryer or am just keep them installig at coil which is most correct soltion
    1. best place(IMO) is by the airhander.
    2. It's not hard to seal a line, so it seems training is needed.
    3. don't install it until you install the unit in it's final stage, as once it's opened it begins pulling moisture,so wait until you're ready to start the unit up/vacuum/release charge.
    4. if you have carbon probs you're not flowing nitro while brazing
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

nitrogen is the policy but just having a har time finding the guys that will follow procedure so a lot of my promblems are on the smaller sie but aggrevating to me and the other service guys natinal pull of hvac installer less than one percent use nitrogen while sautering the new infinity installer books call for driers to be installed at air handler

thanks for the reply and information it very helpful in the learning process

This may help. Give a copy to your HVAC company.

http://www.bacharach-training.com/norm/desiccants.htm

Norm

I wish they requried more training in this area I watch these gus come in the door most arent bad guys they just dont hardly know anything and ae seriously undertrained its that guy mentallity not a lot of crosstraining going on.

I always try... to put the liquid line drier at the evap right before the metering device...........

On new construction I wouldnt do any brazing till I set the condenser....no sense in opening the evaporator when the house might sit a month...or longer... But when I did do the brazing I would do everything at once....braze, leak test....evacuate....then after breaking vacuum with vapor....bust the caps on that condensers ass and disconnect the compressor contactor control wire until start up.

Dont you have in house training and rules ???....it wont help 100 percent as you cant spy on your guys....but you can teach them proper methods and supply them with the proper equipment to do the job right.

get yourself some yellow hoses...or red or blue...cut them in half and install some pressure restrictors for pneumatic lines....those little platic doohickeys...<<<spelling may not be correct...and give there to your guys.....then whip out on the job where you know some brazing is being done...if they dont have the nitrogen hooked up terminate whoever is brazing and make an example out of him...it will keep the others in line....

thatwould set an example yes offer one voluntary class and all supply house classes. It's just haRD TO BREAK these guys of all the bad habits pcked up before they startes with me I mean one guy good workers I caught one guy break open is valves with no pressure on system cheater cord on the truck micron guge on the truck thats the kind of stuff that drives me crazy He was fired immediatly you can tell them till your blue in the fACE and you can do it right yourself Ive been thrugh 10 guys in the last 18 months only one guys been here longer 2 years and hes the only guy I trust to do it right every time Iwould love to have
    10 more just like him.

well, I think it might be a good idea for you to get your guys training, sooner or later your going to run out of guys to fire and word will spread that your place is no place to work.

inspectors here require copper to be tied in on ruff if air handler is in attic...they also are starting to require liquid line dryers at coil..training not the promblem is the guys dont stay around long enough to ive been throgh 10 in the last 18 months the only guy i trust has been with from day one...I wish I had ten more just like him..my service are all really knowledge..duct guys wont stay around..thats because do metal trunks evewrybody else does flex and ductboard..and pay about the same and to compete i cant be a whole lot higher than them..I wish the would outlaw ductboard and flex pipe systems

apprecite it guys Ill try one day week training and see if it help