Thread: Garage Heat

Confused

Home owner looking to heat my garage. I am not sure what I need! I do not think I want gas due to wood working (spraying flammable chemicals) I am not sure I can go all electic do to 100 Amp service in the garage. Any Idea's??? I am in Indiana and the weather does get alittle cold ( 20 or so)

Many old homes have 100 amp service, which is plenty for electric heat, unless your garage is huge/uninsulated. If the latter, consider insulating it.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Lots of choices... hanging unit heater, mini split heat pump (so you'd have A/C in the summer), a normal furnace and duct, one of them newer wall type furnaces (can't recall the name of em though, Rania sells them I believe).
    I'd reccomend going with gas aswell since you don't have a lot of power in there. 100a would be plenty to run an electric heater, but if you have many tools you'll start running out of power fast.

how abot a wood stove?
    Never Say Die
    Kemp

What heats your home now? Is the garage attached to the house?

The garage is not connected to the house ( I use it for a wood working shop) Are there any concerns with using gas and flammable sprays?? It is a normal 2 1/2 car garage, insulated /w drywall. Thanks for the input guys!

3 words. Get a Reznor!!

I was gonna say an LP wall furnace or infared radiant electric, but not if you're using sprays and flammables.
    Electric heaters without any exposed elements like the oil filled jobs might be an option. If your house was close to the garage and you had hydronic heat, you could run insulated tubing buried out to the garage and pipe it into a fan coil. There are some gas fired wall hung boilers that can be mounted outdoors allowing the heated water to be piped into the garage. Outdoor pool heaters (oil or LP/gas) might be an option also. Of course none of these solutions are cheap, but they would be the safest as there would be no flame on the inside of the garage.

[Edited by johnsp on 10-30-2005 at 11:18 AM]

Get a sealed gas unit heater,that takes combustion air from outside.A sterling model sf is a low profile garage heater with sealed combustion.Do a search on it.
    Take your time & do it right!

KBOOM, BOOM
    without using an explosion- proof heater!

dust is explosive! -- think about the explosions in the grain ( wheat ) bins --

sorry, but been 20y since I lived in Marion, or I could recite which silo | bin
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!