Thread: 400 sq ft Home

Hi recently bought another rent house. Main place is fine with ac/heat but the property came with a free standing 400 sq ft mother in law type house on a slab with wood siding. 20x20, fully insulated, double pane windows and steel insulated doors. Only problem is it doesnt have air or heat. Now whats the best way to heat/cool a place this size? I refuse to use propane for heat (its located in rural area) so it must be all electric.

Is this place to small for conventional electric air/heat central unit? What about those window units that ARE air and heat? Are they any good?

Originally posted by curiousgirl
    Is this place to small for conventional electric air/heat central unit?

that's about as small as it gets--mini split maybe

What about those window units that ARE air and heat? Are they any good?

not very ecomomical

whats a mini-split and what you mean by maybe? So those window heat/air units are crap?

I wouldn't say the window units are crap, but they are unsightly-noisey-and make homes less secure. A mini-split or Ductless system is a good way to go. A small thin airhandler on the wall that is piped to a small thin condenser or heat pump outside. They are quiet and reliable. There are several brands and most companies I know of will recognize them as ductless systems. More expensive than that window shaker, but a better solution in most cases.

wow lived for 47 years and never seen nor heard of a mini split system. Learn something new everyday.

Given a choice yes the mini split sounds the way to go just didnt know anything like that existed. Ive seen and experienced those window units (not with heat) and no im not a real fan of thse unsitely monsters.

So are these mini splits something an ac company has to install or is it just a plug in and use type unit?

Originally posted by curiousgirl
    never seen nor heard of a mini split system.
    They are are advertised on TV.I guess you dont watch
    "info-mercials",huh?

Option 1: Mini split is more costly,but if you have nothing in the house now,then installation would be cheaper than option 2.

Option 2: You could try to find a 1 ton system and hope it not oversized.Maybe heat pump with a variable speed blower would work.

Option 3:Window units are more costly to operate and might require one for each room to maintain any comfort.

I always thought this was a pretty good site for information on Mini's.

Although I would recommend purchasing it through your local HVAC dealer.

http://www.mini-split.com/

Mini-splits usually need help in cold weather, baseboard electric for example. Chances are a good PTHP (motel room unit) would be best bet. A good one, like the Zoneline 5500, is quiet & efficient. A he!! of a lot cheaper than a ducted system!

A small split system might be an option if this place has an attic. The ductwork would be minimal,it would be a rental point as well(more impressive than a window shaker/pthp/mini split), and easier to repair, as renters are always known to highly maintain YOUR equipment(filter changes, etc.)
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

We call those structures converted garages.

Id put a PTAC in for bldg that small, I;m afraid you will not get the heat you need out of a mini split.

BTW curious a PTAC is one you might find in a hotel room, it goes through the wall, generally below a window.

On of the Mitsubishi mini-splits has electric strip backup heat. http://www.mrslim.com

An extra electric baseboard might be a good idea to put in also.

you could always use an electric furnace with a split system ac. try an e3eb furnace from nordyne. ac ready & all. nice furnace! available in all their brands. http://www.nordyne.com