I'm having some comfort issues with my heating system. Overall, I think the room balance is pretty good, but not the hallyway. When hot air is produced, most rooms are within about 1 degree of the others. The bathrooms heat faster and hotter, as they tend to have a little more air flow than required, but I like the bathroom to be warmer.

As the house is heating the hallway eventually reaches the set temperature (70F) and the thermostat turns the heater off. When this happens, most of the rooms are 1.5 degree hotter than the hallway (71.5F). I'm kind of too hot by this point, as I like the rooms at 70F and not 71. I keep the fan running continuously (Bryant Evolution system) and as I do that the hallway seems to lag the rest of the house quite a bit in cooling down. All the other rooms have dropped 3 to 4 degrees (to 67-68F) before the hallway has become cool enough that the thermostat kicks the heater back on (thermostat still reads 70F). So I'm getting a little cold before the heat kicks back in again.

The thermostat is located in the hallway and most of my air returns are located in that hall too. The air on the hallway floor (which is where the returns are) seems to be slightly cooler than the air at the top of the hall, so this could be part of the problem (about 1F difference). Also, there is a bathroom in the middle of this hall, and I'm thinking that some of the heat in there is coming right back out and heating the hallway. Since there's almost no heat loss in the hallway, I think this may be why things are lagging.

Any suggestions for how to fix this problem? Should I relocate the thermostat in a room that is more representative of the rest of the house? Is running the fan continuously the right thing to do? Note, I used the same thermometer for all room temp measurements, and it matches the thermostat thermometer to half a degree.

Your problem is the stat location.The rooms probably have outside walls for heat loss....the hallway doesn't right? You should relocate the stat to a room where you spent a majority of you time, and you can have sensors installed in other rooms if you choose, and a stat that can average those temps to control your system.As far as the air near the floor being cooler, it will be as air stratisfies(sp) into layers,with hottest near the ceiling. the stat was installed there because alot of people put their stats near the return of the system.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    By teh title ,I thought it was an interior decorating question!LOL

Smokin has it right ,move the stat.

are you keeping doors closed?

air needs to move freely, i agree with running the fan continuously, to prevent stratification, but if the doors are closed and there are no returns in the individual rooms, air is not flowing freely.

Originally posted by suemarkp
    I'm having some comfort issues with my heating system. Overall, I think the room balance is pretty good, but not the hallyway. When hot air is produced, most rooms are within about 1 degree of the others. The bathrooms heat faster and hotter, as they tend to have a little more air flow than required, but I like the bathroom to be warmer.

As the house is heating the hallway eventually reaches the set temperature (70F) and the thermostat turns the heater off. When this happens, most of the rooms are 1.5 degree hotter than the hallway (71.5F). I'm kind of too hot by this point, as I like the rooms at 70F and not 71. I keep the fan running continuously (Bryant Evolution system) and as I do that the hallway seems to lag the rest of the house quite a bit in cooling down. All the other rooms have dropped 3 to 4 degrees (to 67-68F) before the hallway has become cool enough that the thermostat kicks the heater back on (thermostat still reads 70F). So I'm getting a little cold before the heat kicks back in again.

The thermostat is located in the hallway and most of my air returns are located in that hall too. The air on the hallway floor (which is where the returns are) seems to be slightly cooler than the air at the top of the hall, so this could be part of the problem (about 1F difference). Also, there is a bathroom in the middle of this hall, and I'm thinking that some of the heat in there is coming right back out and heating the hallway. Since there's almost no heat loss in the hallway, I think this may be why things are lagging.

Any suggestions for how to fix this problem? Should I relocate the thermostat in a room that is more representative of the rest of the house? Is running the fan continuously the right thing to do? Note, I used the same thermometer for all room temp measurements, and it matches the thermostat thermometer to half a degree.
    Yes, this intolerable and unacceptable problem of the hall being 1 degree different than the rest of the home can easily be solved, do you feel that it is a ten thousand dollar problem?

Its not a 1 degree problem, its a 4 degree problem. That may sound like whining, but I get cold in most rooms because I don't spend much time in the hallway. But if I increase the stat setting, the rooms get even hotter just before the heater shuts off. That will make me more comfortable when the heat is cycled off, but overheat me when the room is being heated.

I'm keeping all interior doors open, as that is the only way for return air to get to a return.

What other rooms are typical locations for thermostats? I've always seen them in hallways and once in a dining room. Is a kitchen/dining room (no partition wall) allowed to have the thermostat, as that would probably be a good place? Is there any room where a thermostat is not allowed?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    It should be in the "path" of a return,should not be in the "path" of a supply air,should not be on an exterior wall or where it gets direct sunlight.

The "path" of a return could be in a room ajoining the halway that gets a major amount of return drawn thru it.

Where are your supply grilles? You could have a probelm of suppy air not "mixing" the sir very well causing stratification,check this by testing temps., at different heights.

[Edited by dash on 10-29-2005 at 07:14 AM]

I think that may be it. The main return grills are in the hallway with the thermostat, and they are low on the floor. No rooms have returns, but they have one or two supply ducts. The thermostat is definitely in the path of the return air, but I think the stratification concept may explain it. When only the fan runs, it is moving something like 500 CFM whereas on high fan it moves 1400. The registers are sized to throw with the full supply volume and not the little 500 CFM volume. Throw is rather pathetic on most registers at this rate.

I don't know how to have a grill throw correctly at full volume and at 1/3 normal volume...

Perhaps I need to extend my floor returns to the ceiling. I was actually planning on doing that in order to provide more return air anyway. I can place the ceiling return grill anywhere in the hallway. Should I put it right above the thermostat?

Excuse me for asking but where am i missing something here?

obviously the poster is known to some of you, but sounds like it belongs in resi.

My apologies if I am wrong.

Originally posted by curry
    Excuse me for asking but where am i missing something here?

obviously the poster is known to some of you, but sounds like it belongs in resi.

My apologies if I am wrong.
    Dhu----never mind thought I was still in the pro forum.