Just curious...In my other homes I had a drum-type humidifier on the furnace, the kind where you have to change the media pad and clean out the water pan. In my second home I had an Aprilaire humidifier, the kind where the water drips through a media filter, and out the bottom to the drain. I thought that the Aprilaire humidifier worked better than the Honeywell, based on the more consistent humidity readings from the humidistat.

My question -- does anyone have a preference for either type of humidifie? I currently have a Honeywell humidifier, and it's a real nuisance having to clean it each month. I'd prefer the other type where you only have to change the media insert once a year.

i don't like any humidifier that holds water. seen to many nasties growing in them.

I have an Aprilaire and am very satisfied with it. I had it installed from my old furnace 1985 vintage to a new VS 2 Stage furnace. After doing so I found out that bypass type humidifiers don't have the output on the newer variable speed high effiecency systems. There is a post in here about it, but it has been at least a year ago since I read it.

What kind of furnace are you going to put it on?

Originally posted by seidstep
    I have an Aprilaire and am very satisfied with it. I had it installed from my old furnace 1985 vintage to a new VS 2 Stage furnace. After doing so I found out that bypass type humidifiers don't have the output on the newer variable speed high effiecency systems. There is a post in here about it, but it has been at least a year ago since I read it.

What kind of furnace are you going to put it on?
    If/when the current humidifier dies, I plan on replacing it with an Aprilaire as indicated above. The furnace is a Frigidaire (Nordyne) high efficiency unit.

Aprilaire, it's the best humidifier out there.

Maintenance is Key.

Clean, mineral free water is the key. I have a General 1040 that works great. I've had it 10 years and the pad is 6 years old. Of course my water is naturally soft with miniml minerals so buildup is almost nonexistant.

Originally posted by eapples

If/when the current humidifier dies, I plan on replacing it with an Aprilaire as indicated above. The furnace is a Frigidaire (Nordyne) high efficiency unit. [/B]

Humidifiers don't die. they just get old and nasty looking. maybe the drum motor might burn out, but its not likely. so if your waiting for it to die, it will be a long time. Those humdifiers with a water tray are always full of mold and other nasty stuff. it would be in your best interest to replace it with a flow through type right away.

You can have your Frigidaire dealer install a Frigidaire humidifier as an alternative to the aprilaire. it is cheaper, but effectively exactly the same. it even used the same water pads.

Thank you, everyone, for your input. I personally prefer the flow through humidifiers because of less maintenance required. But, given my horrendous cash flow management, I'm not going to replace anything until it really finally gives up the ghost.

Make sure you actually need a humidifier.
    many peole put one in don't really need them.
    Buildings construction and interior living conditions rule the day.
    Whether Aprilaire or whatever it has to be maintained.

Our firm installs primarily the Aprilaire line of products. Ask an installing firm about the autotrak feature on the Model 600. Depending on the climate humidifiers can be great for health reasons but also for energy savings: higher moisture levels in indoor air (i.e. higher as compared to 5-10% I've seen in some homes) can help occupants be comfortable at lower heat settings. Lower t-stat settings = lower heat bills.
    Eager to learn, willing to teach, reluctant to admit defeat.

aprilaire is a great humidifier if installed properly.It's amazing how many installs I come across where the humidistat is installed downstream from the bypass,and how many h.stats are mounted on the duct without the mounting plate and with no holes behind it.

If you have one installed make sure it is done correctly and if it is a a.a 600 or 700 that they install the outdoor sensor and don't put the manual jumper in.