Question

Hello All,

I am upgrading my old comfort system from a straight cool with 10KW heat strips to a heat pump. What is the correct size supplemental heat strip for my new system?

I live in near Orlando, FL, so the temperature goes below freezing only about 5 days a year.

Does the SEER rating or brand of system warrant the use of a different supplemental heat strip? I'm considering either the Trane XL14i or Carrier Performane series.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Rusty

First a load calculation should be preformed. This will tell you the required BTU for heating and cooling for your home. Based on this, the heat pump and aux heat(strips) should be sized to match the needed capicity.

SEER rating does not make a difference in aux heat sizing. Being in Florida, you should go with a high SEER system in order to save $$$ during the cooling season.

Heat Pumps are ideal for Florida.

The load calculations came out to 35,000 BTUH. The cooling capacity of the Trane XL14i is 36,000 BTUH. How's this relate to the heating capacity?

36,000 btu heat pump I would have 15kw of back-up heat and wire 5kw of that 15kw for defrost cycle..

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    In Florida the energy code prevents that much auxillary heat.

A 3 ton ususually gets a 5 or 7.5/8 kw.

If you get an Infinty air handler,with Infinity comtrols you could get a 9kw ,3 stage heater.With this the first 3kw will come on with the heat pump,keeping the discharge air very warm,as does the variable speed blower.Then as it gets colder out the next 3 kw,etc. etc.

Hot heat pump technology,very comfortable.

Go back with a high seer straight cool and electric heat strips,IMO. What was the heat loss? Was it 35,000 btuh or was that the heat gain?I respect Dash's opinion of heatpumps but with the way that Carrier is set up, you're probably at a straight 5-7kw heat strip anyways,since it runs a least a 3kw with the pump.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Thanks for all the input. Here's my answers and reply to your comments.

The Heat Load is 35,000 BTUH. I will get the heat loss and heat gain data. Please point me to a website where I can learn more about heat load, loss and gain.

To smokin68:
    What do you mean by "it runs a least a 3kw with the pump"?

To dash:
    I've been looking at the Carrier Performance Series not the Infinity Series. Can the Performance Series include the staged heat strips? I am considering the Thermidistat control, which is the best the performance series has to offer.

Thanks again.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rusty_hammer
    [
    To smokin68:

In Dash's post to you.....
    With this the first 3kw will come on with the heat pump,keeping the discharge air very warm,as does the variable speed blower.Then as it

This means that the heatpump& electric heat strips are on at the same time, which doesn't get you the heatpump's actual savings.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rusty_hammer
    [
    To smokin68:

In Dash's post to you.....
    With this the first 3kw will come on with the heat pump,keeping the discharge air very warm,as does the variable speed blower.Then as it

This means that the heatpump& electric heat strips are on at the same time, which doesn't get you the heatpump's actual savings.

As far as a website, you're here. Did you run the load calc at the top of this page? heat loss is exactly that....how many btu's per hour your house will lose to the outdoors. Heatgain is how many btu's per hour will infiltrate your house from the sun and need to be removed( A/C).