Thread: Trane XB80 Blower Cabinet Insulation

Post Likes
    I'm looking at a Trane XB80 downflow furnace. The insulation panels on the blower cabinet have started to separate from the sheet metal cabinet.

Does this insulation come from the Trane as part of the cabinet, or was this done by the installer?

Anyone have an exploded view of the product showing the insulation?

Thanks in advance...

Post Likes
    They don't currently insulate the blower compartment on the XB80 furnaces, and I have never seen one that was, but that doesn't mean they never did. We don't sell any of the XB products

The blower compartment on the XR80 is insulated, but it is just glued in with some sort of hot glue, and tends to come loose over time if the furnace is installed in a hot environment.

The insulation is mechanically secured, as well as glued, in the XL and XV furnaces, I have seen a few that came through with just the glue though.

Post Likes
    I have had alot of problems with insulation comming loose and causing frozen coils but mostly on package units.

Post Likes
    In this case, the motor burned out. When the insulation panel separated from the cabinet, it blocked the blower inlet and then caused the motor to burn up.

Trane's literature on the XB80 indicates that they insulate the heat exchanger section of the cabinet. I don't know if that includes the blower section.

Have you seen XB80 units with insulation panels around the blower section?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in