Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

wind baffle

I don't think that wind baffle should be on there.
    It is used for cooling rooms when the out door temp is very cold (computer rooms).
    It can also be used in areas exposed to high winds where the wind could inhibit the fan from turning the right way. A roof top installation were the prevailing winds may force the fan to spin backwards or at least limit air flow

"A Low Ambient Pressure Control Kit is used when a need exists for year-round cooling, such as in computer and telephone rooms. Use of the wind baffle on all Mitsubishi P/PU series condensers extends cooling operation to zero degree outdoor temperature, for year-round cooling where needed. The baffle quickly connects to the exterior cabinet."

Sorry for the late reply to this thread, haven't had time to get back on here. Yes, condensate is pumped out and down with the tube supplied with the pump and is plumbed all the way to the ground, windscreen is OEM and installed as per instructions.

Now the insulation thing, It is the first time it's been requested they be ran in the same piece of insulation so just did as instructed on that... Electrical disconnect and conduit came as a kit, interconnect wire is supposedly rated but it is nm wire so don't quote me on that, our company doesn't supply electrical, we hire out.

Rubber feet is a good idea, wish I had thought of that.... Thanks for your guys input btw!
    Last edited by Aquarious; 07-23-2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: spelling error

Why a condensate pump if drain is not going uphill?

Customer requested condensate pump, tbh it didn't exactly need it as drain was the lowest point coming thru the wall, gravity would have done it just as good, tho with a larger tube.

I always thought the wind baffell was for cold weather applications. Everytime i walked up to one with a few feet of snow drift of the roof the baffle did a good job of keeping the cond. fan clear of any obstructions.

Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    He explained it, but don't know if he was right or wrong. Minisplit line sets are both insulated, don't know if it is for increased SEER/efficiency or what.
    Liquid line on minisplits can sometimes be below the dew point.

Thus causing condensation.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by tlj000 View Post
    I don't think that wind baffle should be on there.
    It is used for cooling rooms when the out door temp is very cold (computer rooms).
    It can also be used in areas exposed to high winds where the wind could inhibit the fan from turning the right way. A roof top installation were the prevailing winds may force the fan to spin backwards or at least limit air flow

"A Low Ambient Pressure Control Kit is used when a need exists for year-round cooling, such as in computer and telephone rooms. Use of the wind baffle on all Mitsubishi P/PU series condensers extends cooling operation to zero degree outdoor temperature, for year-round cooling where needed. The baffle quickly connects to the exterior cabinet."
    House 7200 above sea level. Get winds over 50 mph often. Get below zero often. Besides using a wind baffle should heat wire be installed also. What to do about snow fall?

Mits

Nice, neat work. I have only used wind baffles for low ambient cooling applications (server rooms, computer rooms, etc.). -DF

Not sure where your located but up here in Canada we install wind baffles ( we call them wind screens ) on all low ambient units. Found this for those of you who don't know or have never used them

Head pressure control by varying the condenser fan speed is negated by a brisk wind blowing through the condenser coil, especially during very cold weather. In order to prevent this Mitsubishi has designed a set of windscreens to block the wind. These include fan, coil, and side windscreen sets. Also included is a blocker plate to be installed on the appropriate windscreens to account for the direction of the prevailing winds. These windscreens have been designed so that no de-rating of the unit is encountered during the hot summer months. In addition to this the windscreens use pre-drilled holes in the unit cabinet, and are painted to match, giving the same ‘factory fit-and-finish’ as the condensing unit.

Cool

I used to put vib pads but these but with mits units you almost need an amprobe to verify they are on. As for the electrical between indoor and outdoor (communication line) on mits this line in canada must be outdoor rated or in an approved sheething, also must be rated for 300v and be not less than 14 guage stranded wire. Most ductless Ive installed we only use the red lvt but that is not allowedon the mits. These units are great the only complaint i have is the lack of room behind inner head for all those pipes/wires.
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take...

love the mitsubishi units over all the other units out there for mini splits

Just a few thoughts, i don't want you to think I am criticizing, if this is used for a heat pump application, I would set the unit on pump ups. I have seen several times frost pinch on the bottom 2-3 rows as the water can hang out in the bottom pan. Several units have pan heaters accessories that help as well. The lineset can be put in linehide which helps the appearance an also keeps the integrity of the armaflex better as it blocks the uv light. If you use linehide you can sleeve the portion of the nm wire in liquid tite from the outdoor unit into the linehide. This will allow you to get around the uv issue with the nm wire and help with the Oversll appearance. I do like the wind baffle and have used them several times. They really do help out well especially in cold environments. Keepup the good work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12