I have talked & emailed quite extensively to Ms. Kushner about her concerns and I cannot relate shoes & clothing falling apart to the a/c system. There must be an answer, can anyone help us?

http://www.hobb.org/hobbv2/index.php...578&Itemid=197
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Some past correspondence.....

Thank-you so much.Basically, I have what is thought to be an excessive humidity problem. When I moved in the "house" my inspector noted a defective furnace and there were other a/c problems. My home is small-1631 sq. feet. It has a 3.5 ton condensor ,a five ton evaporator coil and 4 ton furnace-100,00 btu's. Belongings that were leather and patent leather fell apart. Wooden picture frames fell apart. My carpet is rolled up. I had it stretched and it rolled right back up. My family heirlooms are ruined. My dad's memoribila from WW11 ruined. His army cap fell apart and I guess I can go on and on.I have spent a fortune on mechanical egineers who were a waste. A/C people I had in said the evaporator coil is oversized,yet when I called Janitrol they said that particular match works. It is in other homes like mine and that problem has not occurred.(so the builder says). I have a hygrometer and the humidity has been from the mid 50's to well into the 70's . Even though the humidity may be nrmal at times my belongings still fall apart. I was told because the evaporator coil is not removing the humidity. An air-quality test done about 2 weeks ago from ac co. should lots of chemicals and said it was off the chart.
    The builder sent someone in last year to do a test with the fan in doorway and closing off vents. It came out nothing really too drastic. (again so the builder says).
    I hope you can understand all this. It has been horrific just as all defects are. The builder also dismissed anything in writing that showed a problem and said I was the cause of the AC problems. I keep the a/c around mid to low 70's.
    But I am perplexed about the furnace as well.
    I was about to give the builder a last chance today to fix the problem. If not I will have too because of continuous damage and health concerns.
    Any help you can give me will be so much apprceciated.
    Marcia

----- Original Message -----
    Sent: 5/19/2005 11:34:43 AM
    To: Kushner
    Subject: Air Quality

I would like to help you discover what is causing the deterioration of the items in your home. I got your contact info from Janet Ahmad - HOBB..

Thanks,
    Steve Wiggins
    Quality Air Care

P.S. I did run her model number of the coil & outdoor unit and they are an ARI match. Doesn't mean they are right for her home but at least ARI has tested them to match.

[Edited by Steve Wiggins on 10-28-2005 at 10:42 AM]
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Toxic Waste in Houston?

EPA's report on the Love Canal tragedy

http://www.epa.gov/history/topics/lovecanal/01.htm

"NIAGARA FALLS, N.Y.--Twenty five years after the Hooker Chemical Company stopped using the Love Canal here as an industrial dump, 82 different compounds, 11 of them suspected carcinogens, have been percolating upward through the soil, their drum containers rotting and leaching their contents into the backyards and basements of 100 homes and a public school built on the banks of the canal."

I'm curious as to what chemicals were found in the air by that A/C company, and what lab did the air tests. Sounds like the affected items are being damaged by some type of acidic substance, ie hydrochloric, hydroflouric, nitric, or sulphuric acid. Texas uses and produces enormous amounts of these substances within the petrochemical industry. Is the affected home in Texas or near a large petrochemical facility? High humidity should be causing mold problems, not problems with fabric items rotting away.

likely not toxic stuff in the air

the news story says "northwest houston." the petrochemical plants (like the bp plant that had the recent fire that may have been on national news) are all to the southeast of houston at least 30 but up to 60 miles away depending on where she is in nw houston.

in my home in nw houston, I have 2.5 ton for my 1600sqft, 25yr old home. If she has a new build, it should be more energy efficient than mine, so that home should do better with a smaller a/c unit than 3.5 ton. Humidity might make things get damaged - we have had an incredibly hot humid summer, and are finally getting some cooler weather (still the lame Astros wanted the stadium roof closed). But her examples sound extreme for just humidity damage.

Re: likely not toxic stuff in the air

Originally posted by row1
    the news story says "northwest houston." the petrochemical plants (like the bp plant that had the recent fire that may have been on national news) are all to the southeast of houston at least 30 but up to 60 miles away depending on where she is in nw houston.

in my home in nw houston, I have 2.5 ton for my 1600sqft, 25yr old home. If she has a new build, it should be more energy efficient than mine, so that home should do better with a smaller a/c unit than 3.5 ton. Humidity might make things get damaged - we have had an incredibly hot humid summer, and are finally getting some cooler weather (still the lame Astros wanted the stadium roof closed). But her examples sound extreme for just humidity damage.
    Emphasis on " should do better with a smaller a/c" is wrong rule of thumb advice... With out a load calculation such a statement is just generalizing a rule of thumb approach. With todays techology and computerized software programs such as HVAC-Calc let's hope that such reasoning stops.
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

How is the paint, woodwork and furniture holding up ?

If I bought a cap and laid it down in the same place as her fathers cap how long would it take it to deteriorate and fall apart ?

Why did she wait three years before honoring her fathers wishes ?

Did she buy all new furniture when she moved in ?

What is she not saying here? don't get all teary eyed and start feeling sorry for her, you'll never find the problem with that attitude, you have to look at her as a suspect, because it is highly likely that she has pertinent info that matters when she doesn't think that it does or just doesn't want it too.

Where were these articles that are deteriorating kept before she moved in ?

Obviously she has a humidity problem, but the effects sound extreme. When considering that she doesn't have the typical mold problems, I'm assuming that the spots on the ceiling were contributed to the plumbing ;eak.

Is her home on a busy road ? downwind from a parking lot or factory ?

How much of her problem is just her perception?

When she says large gaps, what do they measure ?

"large" is relative.

Is it a chemical problem or a chemical reaction to another problem ?

How much window space does she have ?

Is there any problem growing a garden around her home ?

Since it sounds like a year round problem, I doubt that it has much to do with the HVAC system, that would be my first inclination until it was proven otherwise.

If there were something in the air deteriorating clothing and furniture she would probably be dead already,

I had a customer who kept complaining about black **** in her home all the time, I went to her home 7 times and finally gave up on it and told her to get a professional air quality company to come in, well she did and they tested and found that it was from candles, she was hiding her candles when she called for service because we had asked her if she burned candles.She didn't believe it could be from that. So she would hide them when she would call for service, I could of choked that bi%^h.