Thread: Pressures, Tempatures, Amperages

Post Likes

Pressures, Tempatures, Amperages

Is there a site/page that explains how pressures and temperatures affect compressor amperage? If the indoor coil is warmer (pressure up) does the compressor amperage increase or decrease?

Post Likes
    Compressor amps increase with a load increase. Higher indoor air temps will impose a higher load on the evaporator coil. Higher outdoor air temperatures reduce the effectiveness of the condenser to reject heat, which increases compressor head pressure.

If a system is overcharged, it will also increase compressor amp draw over where it should be with a proper charge under similar weather conditions. Same applies if the outdoor coil is dirty, or if there is return air duct leakage, such as a leaking return in an attic.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    So the more pressure difference between low and high side increases compressor amperage? Wouldn't a warmer evap coil decrease the temp difference between inside and out? Or is it when overall pressure on both sides increases that compressor amps increase?

Post Likes
    Only Pro members with an * beside their name may answer questions in the AOP forums.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    So the more pressure difference between low and high side increases compressor amperage? Wouldn't a warmer evap coil decrease the temp difference between inside and out? Or is it when overall pressure on both sides increases that compressor amps increase?
    My "*" designation is pending (beenthere, I have asked ice, who in turn has run it up the flagpole) so I hope my reply can remain for the moment. If it is deleted I understand.

To answer your question, 54, the greater a difference there is between suction and discharge pressures, the more work the compressor must do. It is also less efficient, especially a reciprocating compressor, since it cannot expel all of the refrigerant from its cylinders before it intakes more. We in the trade refer to this difference in pressures as compression ratio, and seasoned pros know that the higher the compression ratio is, the less efficient the pump is, and the more power it will draw to accomplish work.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    My "*" designation is pending (beenthere, I have asked ice, who in turn has run it up the flagpole) so I hope my reply can remain for the moment. If it is deleted I understand.

To answer your question, 54, the greater a difference there is between suction and discharge pressures, the more work the compressor must do. It is also less efficient, especially a reciprocating compressor, since it cannot expel all of the refrigerant from its cylinders before it intakes more. We in the trade refer to this difference in pressures as compression ratio, and seasoned pros know that the higher the compression ratio is, the less efficient the pump is, and the more power it will draw to accomplish work.
    Your post will remain unless Admin says other wise.

Post Likes
    So it's like a regular air compressor that you can actually hear "loading up" as it builds pressure? BTW when did the new policy that only pro members can answer questions go into effect? I've received some good advice over the past 10 years from people that don't have the "pro" designation.

Post Likes
    Its Pro members with an * beside their name. regular guest also may not answer questions/give advise.

Went into effect today.

Post Likes
    So it's like a regular air compressor that you can actually hear "loading up" as it builds pressure?
    Good analogy. An ammeter on an air compressor motor filling its tank would show an increase in current draw as the air pressure continued building in the tank.

You've stumbled upon what many OEMs of a/c units already know. As part of their quest to meet higher SEER constraints, they play with compression ratios on the compressor. This is done by larger condenser coils, larger evaporators, and slightly undersized compressors.

Post Likes
    So it's like a regular air compressor that you can actually hear "loading up" as it builds pressure? BTW when did the new policy that only pro members can answer questions go into effect? I've received some good advice over the past 10 years from people that don't have the "pro" designation.
    The "rules of engagement" as it were have been changed. The site is leaning toward guiding the general posting public with more in-depth answers to their questions. In an attempt to prevent wrong or misleading technical answers from getting some homeowners in trouble and or danger, vetting professionals with the "*" after their professional member moniker was instituted to make it easier to keep track.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in