Question

What is the minimum temp a thermostat should be set at to avoid damage to the HVAC? I've heard of "freezing the compressor" if the temp is too low... help.

Should the system be turned off when not in use, and what, if any, damage is caused when the system is turned back on?

referring to heating or cooling?

what part of HVAC heating or A/C

heating=50- 90F
    cooling=68- 90F

settings dependent upon your house construction, local outside weather -- having condensation on the walls is BAD.

one should be able to shut down any unit & have it restart ok at any time. else there are serious equipment | hardware problems

[Edited by cem-bsee on 10-28-2005 at 10:24 AM]
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

post your question in one section.

Originally posted by jbaumgartner
    What is the minimum temp a thermostat should be set at to avoid damage to the HVAC? I've heard of "freezing the compressor" if the temp is too low... help.

Should the system be turned off when not in use, and what, if any, damage is caused when the system is turned back on?
    This all depends on the system. Some are designed to run in low ambients,they have a outdoor fan motor control. What you want to make sure is the unit is cycling. If it never turns off, eventually it will freeze up, and then your problems begin.I wouldn't set the t-stat below 68, and I'd make sure the unit is cycling. Most people who turn the stat down low have other problems....system malfuntioning,humidity issues. I'm personaaly comfortable around 77 degrees indoors with 45-50% humidity.Turning system off is fine as long as you don't slug the compressor, meaning it starts up on liquid freon.If your system has an accumulator, it will help prevent this.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

If the stat is set too low during the day, return air temp will eventually start to drop at night. Low return temp will cause low suction pressure and the evap coil will start to make ice. Once the coil starts to ice up, it gets worse and worse until you get no cooling at all.
    Either put notes on the stats regarding minimum setting, or use setpoint limits by lock or software.