Lightbulb

And I guess i'm too lazy to search, but so far everyone has been nice here!

My parents JUST got their central 3 ton carrier unit installed by a family members hack company. So far it looks okay, i'm no expert (will post pictures later). Half the place is dry walled, dust is EVERYWHERE, its a huge mess that would drive anyone crazy.
    FILTERS:
    First off, what size opening is required for a 3 ton unit?
    Next, what kind of filters should they use? I know those 3M filtrete's constrict a lot of airflow. The unit came with some crappy pleated things, if we continue to use these the whole system will be clogged with dust in no time (the ducts are already dirty depths of hell).

The place is far from sealed up, its like plugging a hallway with a hot dog, so I don't expect it to be very "efficient" just yet.

Thanks!

Do NOT use the system until the dust has been cleaned up.

It is not intended to handle drywall dust.

if you must use it and only as a last resort you should do so
    then have someone install a media air cleaner using a 5" filter

Exclamation

Its not ALL drywall dust, the place is dusty as hell work going on or not. But I'll make sure its used at last resort.

Last I heard we were supposed to be getting a Carrier. I didn't see a label on the air handler, so I walked outside and discovered....ITS A GOODMAN! No wonder it was so cheap, I don't think my parents will be happy about that.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by beechbum
    Its not ALL drywall dust, the place is dusty as hell work going on or not. But I'll make sure its used at last resort.

Last I heard we were supposed to be getting a Carrier. I didn't see a label on the air handler, so I walked outside and discovered....ITS A GOODMAN! No wonder it was so cheap, I don't think my parents will be happy about that.
    But Robo will be thrilled!!LOL

Come to think of it, a goodman might have been a great choice. In a couple months another hurricane may come and blow this house to shreds again.

First off, what size opening is required for a 3 ton unit?
    Whats the correct size of the return filter? Thats my main concern.

Oh well, guess no one knows and/or cares.

I came back to the house today, it was 59!!! according to the analog POS cheap crap of a thermostat that was installed. The unit was running constantly, AND IT WAS TURNED OFF according to the thermostat! The fan was on auto, and the temp was set at 80F, but it just kept on going and going and going. Breaker pulled, problem temporarily solved. What's going on? Is the thermostat messed up?

Oh well, guess no one knows and/or cares.

I came back to the house today, it was 59!!! according to the analog POS cheap crap of a thermostat that was installed. The unit was running constantly, AND IT WAS TURNED OFF according to the thermostat! The fan was on auto, and the temp was set at 80F, but it just kept on going and going and going. Breaker pulled, problem temporarily solved. What's going on? Is the thermostat messed up?
    My guess would be the wiring.
    All Seasons Heating & Cooling

From manual (I downloaded).
    Heat, Cool or Fan Runs constantly
    1. Possible short in wiring. Check each wire connection to the thermostat to verify it is neatly looped under the terminals. No extra
    Constantly.
    2. Possible short in thermostat. wire should stick out from under the terminals.
    3. Possible short in heat/cool/fan system.