Hi

I have a 1 year old coleman heat pump. Only in the heating mode does the outdoor pump leak water. No other heatpump in my developement seems to be doing this. Any ideas? Also, does the heating mode use freon as well?

Thanks in advance.

Lisa

outdoor unit for heatpump will leak water when it goes into defrost.

Heat-pumping is just like air conditioning (cooling) only you cool the outside air and throw away the heat inside. Your A/C cooling coil inside has to have a drain system to collect water from condensation, due to removing moisture from the air, and the same thing happens outside during heat pump operation. In some weather it will drip, and at other times it will freeze and collect frost. It's normal.
    Freon is used in both cycles, only the part that gets hot and the part that gets cold are reversed.

t537ed & speedracer follow-up ?

So the water on the ground is of no concern? No other brand in my neighboorhood does that. Is it just that my Coleman doesn't drain to a pan and the others do??

Thanks again, Lisa

PS: I bought a cheaper system because I am going to sell.

it means yours is better because the water is draining away.the others are sitting in a puddle of hidden water and will rust out eventually.

It's normal for a heat pump to condense moisture from the air outside, but it could be a bit low on charge if it is the only one dripping. Is the heat output adequate? What is discharge temp at a register? What is outside temp at this time?
    Shift it to cooling mode and measure the temperature of the air at a register, compare to space temp, what is the drop? Note the outside temp at the time you do this.
    If the dripping is the only symptom, it's not a concern. If the temperature drop across the AC is only five or ten degrees, it may be undercharged.