Unhappy

I have a heat pump with gas furnace backup. I live in a two story home. The furnace is located at one end of the house in the garage. I know that I have an air flow problem that would best be solved by zoning or a second system. I cannot afford either at this time.

My problem is that the room closest to the furnace gets a lot of air and is significantly hotter than the rest of the house. Is there a problem with closing the vent in this room completely? I always have the doors open and there is a vent in the jack and jill bathroom next door. The upstairs return is out in the hallway about 5 feet from the door to this room.

What is so frustrating is that this room is at 73 degrees. The master bedroom at the other end of the house is at 66. The thermostat downstairs is set at 68.

If closing the vent is not the answer, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

As long at its just one vent it will be ok. Be sure that none of your other vents are closed.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    It's okay for one,usually.

However the master at the other end being that much colder indicates you may already have "high static" in the duct system.I have it sserviced and have them check the temperature rise of the furnace.

What type of filters do you use?

Temporarily removing a very restrictive filter(only to test),may greatly increase air flow to the master ,if it does,you may want to get a less restritive filter.

I use 4 pleated filters per my set up but they only have a MERV rating of 6. I also change them every 1 to 2 months. I am going to have my yearly furnace service in November. I can ask them to check the static in the duct system then. What would cause 'high static'?

You could just explain the problem and have them fix it.

close the one that is too warm approx a half. also make sure that the return to this room can get back to the unit. Do you have approx a 1-1/2" gap under the door to allow air to return?

peytonc2682: That is my plan. I just like to know how things work in general. I know I cannot fix it. If it is going to cost a lot of money to fix it, I probably can't right now unless it is going to damage my system. The furnace is 16 years old and the heat pump is 2. If closing the vent is okay in the short term, that is my plan.

deejoe: I already have it closed by 1/2 per my HVAC tech. Still is too hot. The door to this room which I use as an office is never closed.

Thank you both for your suggestions.