Thread: Pro's and Con's for Indirect Water tanks

Post Likes
    What are the pros and cons of using an indirect hot water tank. This is assuming you have an oil fired hot water furnace for the main home heating. Climate is moderate (New York)

Is the indirect more efficient that using a water tank with its own separate heater? Any disadvantages?

Thanks

Post Likes
    If you have a hot water BOILER already, having another unit running just for hot water is silly. Why have 2 oil burners running, when the one you have now can heat a storage tank? Also realize direct fired water heaters are the most wasteful in regards to efficiency AND they don't last very long, why bother with them at all?

Post Likes
    This has been discussed prior, you may want to do a search on the topic. I stand by my earlier assertions, they are NOT for everyone. Some people do not like the wait for hot water for small needs (ie) hand washing. They are endless suppliers of hot water, but not instant. We sell a number of these, but the customer needs to be aware of the facts. There may be no payback, either. Yes, some folks have seen reductions in their fuel bills. But the installed costs are very high compared to standard tank water heaters and this may not be recovered.
    Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.

Post Likes
    Looks as though I had my head up my ... When I initially saw this thread I immediately thought Tankless, not indirect for some reason. My apologies- disregard the comments as I was referring to tankless.

But, we have discussed indirects a time or two on this site. As for indirect, with a boiler as a heat source, you will usually have a more efficient water heating source than a stand alone water heater. Especially if your boiler is newer or well maintained and operating efficiently. Some indirects have a clean out port to help remove lime & minerals if they are a problem in your water. A good thing to have is a controller that gives water heating a prioity. This is good if a call for heat and hot water occur at the same time. The water heating demand will be met before the boiler is robbed of Btu's by trying to heat the home and water at the same time. If the indirect is sized generously, you will have a large quantity of hot water available. Many have lifetime warranties on leakage and most are insulated well for very low standby losses.
    Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in