Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I replaced the old Honeywell dial t-stat with the most expensive Honeywell I could find at Home Depot as suggested in a previous post. The heat will come on for 15 minutes off for 10 minutes repeatedly. Same with the cooling. Plenty of insulation and I can't imagine the ancient units are oversized. Do I trash the t-stat and call my heat and air guy to see if we have a larger problem or buy the Vision which I can set to so many cycles per hour?

your best bet

is to call your AC man

The older the unit, the more likely it is oversized. That cycle doesn't sound bad to me, but the Visionpro stat would help you adjust it,as it's "smart",it learns from your system. You are better off call a pro to sell/install/program this for you, as it's highly unlikely the "expert" in the aisle at Home Depot can guide you through it. There is a one in a thousand chance though that a HVAC expert is retired and working there....
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Smokin68; you say that this cycle don't "sound bad to you" ???? Unless its about -40 F, and the posters' windows are fully open, this is a "short" cycle if there ever was one.

More info is needed. What model is the new one, and what did it replace?. Also needed is your type of heating unit, etc.?

Originally posted by deejoe
    Smokin68; you say that this cycle don't "sound bad to you" ???? Unless its about -40 F, and the posters' windows are fully open, this is a "short" cycle if there ever was one.
    Explain to me what you consider a "short cycle"? There are only 2 cycles in an hour? That unit is running for 15 minutes,and then it's off for 10. There's nothing wrong with that IMO. Now if it were on for 4 minutes,then off for 2, I'd say it was short cycling.

Smokin68; so in your opinion, when it really gets cold (it's only October now) the posters' unit could run continuously, Is that what you would call a "long cycle" ?lol

Smokin68; so in your opinion, when it really gets cold (it's only October now) the posters' unit could run continuously, Is that what you would call a "long cycle" ?lol

I see how well you explained a "short cycle". Also, it's very cold in some areas right now,even in October, so do some research before you critisize my post.

Deejoe, when it really gets cold, the unit should run continuously. 15 minutes cycles are not short if in moderate weather.

The reason that your cycles are shorter is because you switched from a manual thermostat to a digital which is more sensitive to a temperature change. Longer cycles are better because the unit operates more effciently on longer cycles. Although 15 minute cycles are just about right if it is not serverly cold outside.

[Edited by peytonc2682 on 10-27-2005 at 03:09 PM]

Better check owners manual to see if it's a self adjusting heat anticipator or have someone adjust it. Should be some info on cycle times too.

Did you set up your t-stat cycle per hour to match your system?

Peytonc2682; you say..."when it really gets cold",,,huh!? is this the new defining words (lol) for temperatures of, say... from +35 F.... down to -40 F
    Some humans can think its very cold at + 45 f, whereas some others can say its very cold only when it gets down to -20 F, or lower.
    Specifics do count, they should be used.

Peytonc2682; you say..."when it really gets cold",,,huh!? is this the new defining words (lol) for temperatures of, say... from +35 F.... down to -40 F
    Some humans can think its very cold at + 45 f, whereas some others can say its very cold only when it gets down to -20 F, or lower.
    Specifics do count, they should be used.

[Edited by smokin68 on 10-28-2005 at 11:38 AM]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast