My Proposal back to HVAC Company.. Input Greatly Appreciated!!!

This is my proposal back to HVAC company. I know it is kind of long so thank you to the people that read it and add some input. It looks like the HVAC company and I have come to agreement on the price of the unit and install. I left the first half of the proposal out since it was all about the price and finances. It is going to boil down between these two unit which have been negotiated at the same price point. What does everyone think about these systems and is there anything else I need to add or ask? I am only 26 and this is my first house so I had a lot to learn and read about. I was/am still pretty green when it could to HVAC systems. I don't want to end up regretting my choice. Also I trust the HVAC company to stand behind their work and do a clean install. I checked with people who has used them, the BBB and the registered contractors association. Also they have been in business for a long time so I doubt they are going anywhere. Please add any and all comments! I know there should be more questions I need to ask the HVAC company Thank you guys so much for your help. I would be lost with out this forum.

Dustin

__________________________________________________ __________

Systems (Choice between York and Ruud) both same price. York has best warranty at 12 years parts/labor and life on compressor. York warranty transferable when I sell house except life on compressor turns into 12 year. Ruud 10 years parts/labor/compressor non transferable. Both have Maintenance Agreement for 5 Years.

Current System -- Builders Grade Carrier 3.5 ton 12 seer (maybe 13). System is almost 12 years old. Runs night and day as hard as it can. Down temp is 10 degrees at best on a dry day, even less if there is humidity. I live in Arizona so 10 degree TD does nothing when it is 110+ outside. Internal valves and lines are shot and compressor on its way out. Coil actually looks fine and no leaks in the duck work. Runs R-22 currently. I live in hot Arizona and the house is 1,412 sq. and is North/South facing. Both systems are nice step up from what is in the house. I would put a similar builders grade unit back on the house if I was planning to move or sell but I do plan on keeping the house for a very long time. Not to mention the basic units prices were not to far off of the price I got the systems down too.

Choice 1
    York -- Affinity Series YZF High-Efficiency Heat Pump

Warranty 12 years labor/Life on Compressor/12 Years Parts
    Split System
    16 seer/9.0 HSPF Efficiency
    Remove Existing Equipment & Debris from Premises (Assuming this includes old air handler.
    Electrical from Disconnect to Condenser
    New Weatherproof Disconnect Box
    Heat Pump
    New Thermostat: Honeywell 8000
    Modification of Supply Plenum
    Will connect to existing ductwork, will check so compatibly and leaks.
    New Return Air Filter Grill (20x30 BAr)
    Variable Speed Motor
    Dual Stage Scroll Compressor
    R-410A refrigerant

Choice 2
    Ruud -- UPRL- JEC Series

Warranty 10 years labor/10 Years Compressor/10 Years Parts
    Split System
    16 seer/9.5 HSPF Efficiency
    Remove Existing Equipment & Debris from Premises (Assuming this includes old air handler.
    Electrical from Disconnect to Condenser
    New Weatherproof Disconnect Box
    Heat Pump
    New Thermostat: Honeywell 8000
    Modification of Supply Plenum
    Will connect to existing ductwork, will check so compatibly and leaks.
    New Return Air Filter Grill (20x30 BAr)
    Variable Speed Motor
    Dual Stage Scroll Compressor
    R-410A refrigerant

Questions (For HVAC Company)

1.) How will air handler be removed and new one installed? Only way into attic is though master bedroom closet, which has an opening of about 28 inch by 20 inch. I assume the air handler breaks into pieces going in and out but am not 100% sure.
    2.) For the New Return Air Filter Grills is states 20x30, currently they are 20x20. Will you be modifying the ceiling to fit the bigger grills? I am fine with that just wondering.
    3.) Since the old system was R-22 refrigerant does that mean you will be running all new line sets and valves for the R-410A system?
    4.) On York’s website it shows a York Affinity Residential Communicating Control. Does that thermostat come with the system or is it extra?
    5.) Is it worth the money to put in a higher end thermostat? I view it as somewhat the brains of the unit but I don’t know if all are created equal?
    6.) Finally the price quoted, is this the finally out the door price? No extras such as additional labor that might be needed or R-410A refrigerant to fill the rest of the system?

Dustin Botkin

Just a case in point, around here the equipment must fit through the opening of the crawl or attic, and there are minimums also. Along with distance from the opening, accessibility and other design conditions.

There is a lot more to changing out a unit than just cutting the old one loose and slamming the new one in place.

Gentlemen,

Please review the Ask Our Pro rules.

Only professional members with a * by their title can give advice in these forums.

this?

The Professional Members of this site have been vetted as qualified professionals in this industry or qualified consultants (manufacturer's representatives, engineers and the like). To identify those members who have been vetted as qualified, look beside their "Professional Member" title for an Asterisk (*) This designates that they have been approved for posting in the AOP section of this site. Advice from anyone who isn't a Professional Member with an Asterisk (*) by their title should be ignored.

So folks without *'s really cant respond to posts, or the OP should take their comment with a grain of salt, as indicated by:

Advice from anyone who isn't a Professional Member with an Asterisk (*) by their title should be ignored.

When I read that, "approved for posting" didnt correlate to cant post without the *

Yeah, ask those questions and any others and let them manage the project to your satisfaction. Figure if the proposal states inclusions and exclusions, you can hold them to it. Proposals and contracts, when well written, remove the messiness that attaches itself to assumptions. Clarify now, not after~ good for you, good for them.

Example: The proposal states the HW8000, so no, don't expect the comm stat unless you want to pay for the upgrade. Seems fair.

Good luck.

1) New AHU should fit through the opening or the contractor has a good plan to do it.

2) I would guess that the existing opening will be enlarged.

3) If its possible to change the line set I would hope that they would. Flush it multiple times at the very least.

4)Communicating control would be an extra if it is not specified in the quote. Honeywell 8000 is a very good stat. In dry AZ where humidity control isn't a huge issue the honeywell will do just fine.

5&6) I can't comment on price

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by b26440510 View Post
    this?

The Professional Members of this site have been vetted as qualified professionals in this industry or qualified consultants (manufacturer's representatives, engineers and the like). To identify those members who have been vetted as qualified, look beside their "Professional Member" title for an Asterisk (*) This designates that they have been approved for posting in the AOP section of this site. Advice from anyone who isn't a Professional Member with an Asterisk (*) by their title should be ignored.

So folks without *'s really cant respond to posts, or the OP should take their comment with a grain of salt, as indicated by:

Advice from anyone who isn't a Professional Member with an Asterisk (*) by their title should be ignored.

The ignore part is a buffer until the improper post is caught and deleted by the mods.

When I read that, "approved for posting" didnt correlate to cant post without the *

The ignore part is a buffer until the improper post is caught and deleted by the mods.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

well, I sure dont see how the posts deleted on this thread would be considered DIY, but I'm just a guest so I'll get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by b26440510 View Post
    well, I sure dont see how the posts deleted on this thread would be considered DIY, but I'm just a guest so I'll get over it.
    You can comment or ask questions, but it can't be advice. So be careful what you post.

The name of the forum is "Ask Our Pros". "Pros" are Professional Members with an * by their title.

if your going for efficency check out the carrier greenspeed on youtube

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-28-2013 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

markrush1982, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?