Coil Keeps Freezing Up, We Don't Know Why - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Picture looks like the blower wheel has been cleaned without the motor being cleaned.
    Yep, I went to one that the motor looked like that but the blower was the same way. It was hair and dirt and actually came out in one piece and looked like a dirty pre- filter on a lawn tactor(4inch wide sponge band). When I saw that I wondered if they saw it and pulled the fan blade clog out before you got there.

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    the new filter is usually a warning.
    I got scolded by a customer once for pointing out that the old filter, that looked like a piece of cardboard, in the trash can was the issue.
    trash can few feet from cond, it was sticking out so I had to look.
    unit checked out fine and no call back.
    Sorry to be off-topic, but this...

If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

...is one of the funniest things I have seen in a while. (maybe I just don't get around enough...lol)

Looks like they used the cat to clean the coil....

LOL I remember back in resi when we did furnace changeouts....low man on totem....guess who got stuck in the plenum under the coil with a shop vac and a flashlight? I'll give you a hint-it wasn't the foreman.
    Get money, get paid.

I had one like that on a unit I looked at for an HVAC friend that couldn't get to this guys house so asked me to go. It wasn't installed by him, the tenant knew him from work (he works in commercial refrigeration for a produce wholesaler) and asked him to take a look. The unit was only a year or so old. It was even a mid-range Lennox system but it WAS a rental property and considering it was a Lennox I was surprised by the hackery involved.

Among other things the lineset was re-used and was undersized and had obvious signs of damage to the tubing. Whoever installed it put in a filter about 5-6 inches too short. The tenants kept replacing the filter with the same size. I came because they had no airflow. Turn the unit on and air is doing its damnedest to exit between the coil and furnace. I removed the front cover and the sheet metal from the front of the A frame coil. The cat hair wasn't actually dirty per se but it came of like a sheet of felt paper on each side of the A frame.

Quote Originally Posted by platchford View Post
    ...It was even a mid-range Lennox system but it WAS a rental property and considering it was a Lennox I was surprised by the hackery involved.

Among other things the lineset was re-used and was undersized and had obvious signs of damage to the tubing. Whoever installed it put in a filter about 5-6 inches too short...
    THAT has to be my biggest pet peeve in this trade. I have pics on my phone I should upload of units that I changed out that I don't know how they made it as long as they did. I saw one Keeprite 3 ton run for about 20 years with 2 kinks (read almost pinched off) in the suction line right at the suction line service valve.
    Get money, get paid.

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    Just needs a bit more cat hair and some grease would be nice as well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123