Heil Repair or Replace?
    I am homeowner, trying to decide what to do. Heil Model PGAE42E1K5, Serial No L9750 32943, running heat on Propane. Service man said that it is 12 seer unit. Nashville TN area.

Unit most recently has failed heat exchanger. 3 months ago, replaced condenser fan. the Evaporator failed in first two years covered under warranty. About 1 1/2 months ago, unit had leak in evaporator coil, and was repaired with some kind of new stop-leak product. That appeared to work, and it cooled ok for last month of season.
    Have had so much more trouble out of this unit than my former Carrier, I wonder if I should keep fixing things, or go ahead and replace the unit. Have present quote of $XXX labor to replace the heat exchanger, and was told the part is under warranty. Ws told that propane is more corrosive, and burn out is to be expected. Also worry that when had leak, the compressor was asid to be "hot enough to cook and egg". I worry that the life has been compromised. I will live in this house for 20+ more years. What would you do?

(no pricing, due to site rules )

[Edited by jultzya on 10-26-2005 at 10:50 PM]

I would probely have second opinion on unit for other contracter ,with all you have done lately sounds as if the unit is poorly maintained or your service tech is just a parts swapper.Heat exchanger cracked is very serious get second opinion sounds like time to shop

Senior Tech Guest
    stop-leak product...it's toast.

Tell me more about stop leak

I was told that this would not hurt unit. Is this wrong?

I believe the tech is truthful. the symptom was camp fire smell in house briefly then no heat. Tech said that unit has a sensor that heats up and cuts off flame to prevent fumes in house.

Still, I am looking at $XXX vs. new unit for $XXXX or so. (4 times price) If the compressor or evap. is "toast" then that would tip scales for me.

Thanks for advice edrock, but do you mean time to shop for new unit, or time to shop for another opinion?

(no pricing, due to site rules )

[Edited by kindacreeky on 10-26-2005 at 11:00 PM]