Cracked heat exchange? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sorry, i forgot about the pricing issue - just trying to illustrate why I needed another opinion. The second contractor was shocked at the price I was quoted and was going to replace the exchanger for half the price. When he saw it wasn't cracked (which still remains a mystery), he charged me even less for the work. I put a call into our gas company to see if I could have someone impartial look at this. I am not trying to be cheap here, but believe me, this is a ton of money and I am running out! I also want to be safe!
    Our real estate agent just called and the buyers are ok with the just the stuff fixed that I mentioned before - apparently the same thing happened to them on the house they just sold. I am amazed and confused!!

have the combustion anaylist done and have them show you with camera again,....

I have put dozens of allegedly "cracked" heat exchanger furnaces back into service and not one has ever shown any sign of malfunction of CO leakage years afterward.

Some contractors really believe that certain deformaties in the heat exchanger are breeches and some contractors just use that video equipment to sell more replacement furnaces. Either way, there are an awful lot of perfectly good heat exchangers that are condemned.

Check with any furnace manufacturer and see how many in warranty heat exchangers have been tested to be sound.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

have to agree with Robo on this one, If you are really unsure pay a few bucks and have someone dismantle the unit a little more and show you the actual crack. Should be easy enough to locate if you have the first guys original picture. Often what may look like a crack on a picture or even by eye turns out to be nothing more than a line on the heatexchanger. Are there any other symptoms of a crack? Does the flame flicker at all with the burner running? Are you seeing any sooting in the vent or around the registers. Did either guy sense any CO around the furnace or the vents? I am always skeptical when someone condems a furnace for cracked heat xchanger on a fairly new unit. From the sounds of it if you have 12 years of warrranty left, then your unit is about 8 years old, not very old for a furnace.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Why is the first company showing you a video on the crack and the second company changing your filter and ignitor. Think about it. Everyone likes good news instead of bad. If it is cracked have it REPLACED!!! When the old one is removed be there with a camera and prove to yourself it is cracked. IF it isn't the first company is in deep do-do. You the homeowner are liable to disclose any problems in the house before you transfer it to another homeowner. do you want to take the chance? You could always call a third company. I went on a call yesterday and found a 4 chamber furnace with each chamber cracked. The furnace was inspected 3 years ago and the heat exchanger was cracked and replaced. The company that replaced It did the inspections after that. I had our lead man come out to verify it. We showed the homeowner the crack and the light coming thru the crack in the chamber. He called the other company and the owner told him we were tricking him. His man who did the checking was an EXPERT!!!!! And we were Liars just trying to sell him a furnace and he would give the homeowner a real good deal on a new one. We installed the furnace 4 hrs later. When someone shows you a problem whose is putting their reputation on the Line Think about It.

You need a head slap!!You were shown video proof of cracks & make no repairs???This is not putting your life in danger only the children of whomever buys your house.....you fricken baby killer!!!!I am positive the first company will be glad to come back & show the second guy what he missed call them!!!
    Take your time & do it right!

Baby killer - that's funny. I suppose you are one of the guys that come to a lone women's house, scares the pants off off her and then chrages her an unfair fee to fix the job - just because she's scared and alone. Shame on you!

Anyway, thanks to everyone who has given good, sound advice. The gas company is coming to take a good impartial look at the unit. I really don't mind fixing the exchanger, that's not the point, the point is I have two conflicting stories, from two reputable contractors and would prefer not to be a victim of a scam, if this is the case. The first guy is charging per hour what I would guess a brain surgeon would make - no joke! I just want to be sure! Thanks again!!

I have condemed many furnaces that were ok by someone else.
    If the customer was unsure or a second opinion was that it was good I would pull it and show the customer.Removing the heat exchanger was at my cost. Seeing is believing and a camera is a good way to go.

Westside

Sorry I didn't answer some of the questions posted - I guess I was a little thrown off by the "baby killer" thing. What a world we live in?

Anyway, there was no soot present (that I know of?), and I am not sure if the contractor(s) ran a CO test. These are all good questions for me to ask. Wonder if the gas company would do this? Yes, the unit is 8 years old, but the first contractor said while it's the right size furnace for our house, it is kind of cheap and "builders" grade. And yes we did disclose to the buyers that we had a conflict from 2 contractors about the crack and we are getting a third opinion, so no, I am not about to put anyone in harm's way.

Thanks again!

Baby killer?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Don't put too much emphasis on the soot coming out the grilles.

There are units that have produced extremely high levels of CO with no sign of soot.

Have it tested to be sure otherwise it is still a guess.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

So it went something like this,

You are selling your home so you get an inspection done, I'm assuming the furnace has no known problem at this point.

Then you get the bad news that your furnace is broken and needs an expensive repair or replaced.So you ponder both options because you start thinking that even though you already have a buyer for your home, the new furnace might be a good investment.
    , Then you come to the conclusion that you need a second opinion, and get good news your furnace is ok, but although it was running fine the whole time, it now needs an igniter that he just happens to have on his truck, ( no doubt),,,So wow you got off cheap. Sounds good, I have it in writing that the exchanger is good and that the furnace was cleaned and inspected and I paid for an igniter for a show of good faith, nevermind the photographic evidence thats before me I had a parts salesman check it out and he said that its fine now and will be a lot better with this little igniter. Do you really think that you did the right thing here? I'm not judging I'm just wondeering.

easy up on him guys.

he said he was willing to replace if necessary.

he also swapped out an old igniter, ready for failure.

all in good faith. he doesn't want to leave the new owner in a bind that could potentially haunt him in the future.

full disclosure: i recommend new igniters every two years on maint. checks. it's cheap to do while i'm there instead of the flame out when it's 20 degrees outside.(additional labor charge)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast