Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Hello everyone,

Here is my situation. I live in Toronto and have some cold winters up here. My oil tank was condemned last week so i have been doing a lot of hectic research about what to do. I want to upgrade to natural gas.

Im getting quotes from different contractors and would like a few suggestions/recommendations from you.

Since my home is uninsulated, a contractor said its a good idea to go for a single stage furnace since it would heat up my home quickly. He said in a two stage, it will take too long to heat up because of the heat loss. What do you think?

You might want to look for another contractor.

A two stage furnace will run on high right away when necessary if it's paired up with the appropriate thermostat. Even with a single stage thermostat, most units only run on low for the first ten minutes.

The rate at which a system can raise the temperature has absolutely nothing to do with how many stages it has - the only factor aside from proper installation and duct leakage is size.

I would really add insulation before replacing the heating system - you'll reduce heat loss considerable and require a much smaller unit.

Originally posted by amd

I would really add insulation before replacing the heating system - you'll reduce heat loss considerable and require a much smaller unit.
    [/B]
    Thanks for the insight but I cant insulate first, the oil company wont give me anymore oil until i replace the tank. I dont want to replace the tank because I want to go natural gas. I dont have too much time left till the oil runs dry.

amd is right

find another contractor and fast.

amd is right on the money, litarally.

With rapidly rising fuel costs it would be foolish not to insulate first.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by thesober
    Originally posted by amd

I dont have too much time left till the oil runs dry.
    A l i t t l e
    incentive to
    GET A Plan!
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dan sw fl
    Originally posted by thesober
    Originally posted by amd

A l i t t l e
    incentive to
    GET A Plan!

lol...Im trying to learn as much as I can since my tank got condemned last week. Im getting a couple of other quotes coming in tomorrow and saturday. One step at a time, i guess.

Thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated.

personally I would look for an insulation contractor first.

What's wrong with the oil tank?? can it be repaired to get you by for now??

I would get the house insulated first, otherwise, your new furnace will be oversized when you do insulated later on.

A two stage t-stat will fire up the high fire right away.. The first dealer saying take stoo long must don't know how to install two stage stats..

[QUOTE]Originally posted by thesober
    Originally posted by dan sw fl
    Originally posted by thesober
    Originally posted by amd

A l i t t l e
    incentive to
    GET A Plan!

lol...Im trying to learn as much as I can since my tank got condemned last week. Im getting a couple of other quotes coming in tomorrow and saturday. One step at a time, i guess.

Thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated.
    i might get done here for suggesting this but to buy a little time go get some deisl fuel in a jerry can and top up your tank yourself if necessary then get gas furncae and insulation
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

ins cos are anal reg oil tanks no tag no ins must replace or have certified
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

I'm with the penguin,
    get a couple 5 gal cans and keep adding oil till the insulation is in, and then get your new properly sized NG furnace.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    There is a ENERGREEN program in Ontario, they help with insulation rebates and heating upgrades, did you know there is a $200 gas rebate for a new furnace. Check out Ministry of Mines and Natural Resourses Canada web site for all programs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast