Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

High head on YCH180B3L0FA

Here we go going to be hard to explainn entirly on here but I'll try I have a YCH180B3L0FA 2003 year the compressor went down short to ground on 2 legs replaced compressor found head pressure border line high 250psi and suction border line low 55-60 psi it was 87degrees out side we have replaced orfices with a txv upgrade no change blew out coils all look clean cleaned indoor and ooutdoor coils replaced air filters replaced blower belt and weighed the charge in no change now for the tech numbers subcool 25degrees superheat 10 degrees 18.5 delta t at the unit SA 49.6 RA 68 outdoor temp 87 has 98 degree temp diff. in liquid line going into condenser and coming out and the air across the condenser wsa 85 in and 105 out. now that its gotten hot we had to disable 2nd stage because its going out on hea pressure. Have tried to adjust subcool will not come below 23 degrees and that was with 9lbs removed only hold just over 13Lbs. Both condenser fans are on. All the tubes in both coils are open blew them out with nitrogen and pulled a vac. to 430 microns put a sight glass in the line before the TXV and dont see any liquid going threw it which is odd. Need some help don't really know what else to check seems like its over charged but again took over half the charge out did not help much.

dehydrators replace filters? adjusted vet sh?

Did you split the condenser coil and wash it really good? It sounds like you have a possible airflow issue on your evaporator coil.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

If the door to the compressor compartment is hard to open with the condenser fans running I'm going with plugged condenser coil. Split the coil and you'd be surprised how much fluff is sandwiched in there.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

this unit has a single row condenser coil and a single evap coil have changed filters and cleaned coil a couple times cause thats what it looked like

Quote Originally Posted by charlesw615 View Post
    this unit has a single row condenser coil and a single evap coil have changed filters and cleaned coil a couple times cause thats what it looked like
    But did tou split the condenser coil?
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

I guess im not understanding what you meen by spliting the coil its just a single row deep its not 2 rows its plubbed every other pipe is a different circuit its about 1 inch thick

Have you or any of the other techs actually been there when the unit tripped out on the head pressure control? Did you see the discharge pressure reach the cutout pressure (assuming 400 PSI)? Are you sure you're not losing a condenser fan motor? Have you amped out the motors? Are there any fan cycling controls? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm not familiar with this particular unit.

What does that big-azz board tell you when it locks out the system? "COOL FAIL"

I love POS trane

250 on DISCHARGE line with indoor is cold. The TXV pinched down, thus you have high subcool. With this subcool, dirty condenser coil is not the problem. After you remove 9 lb of freon, what is the head pressure is????

If this unit has zone sensor instaed of conventional thermostat, then look closely at its outdoor temp sensor. It may read LOWER than normal. Thus, it may shut the 2nd fan motor off thinking it is LOW ambient

If this POS keeps locking out (AND you think it is high head pressure), then install a manual reset HPS. Because it is cheaper that way than keep going back.

Trane : Gotta love it because it give me lots of hours $$$

Open the cabinet door, kill the power and make sure both fans are spinning the same direction.

When we removed over half the charge head pressure was still 225 on a 84 degree day Both condenser fans are running and it has been converted to a normal thermastat we have watched it and it is for sure going out on high head on first stage when 2nd stage comes on it 92 plus weather has tried adjusting TXV it will change superheat but doesnt help subcool we installed a sight glass right before the TXV and it doesn't look like there is any liquid goig to the TXV and again did blow everything out so we are certain no blockages as far as a auto reset hp switch wouldnt do much good only runs for about 30 seconds if both stages are on

[QUOTE=charlesw615;10795152]
    Have tried to adjust subcool will not come below 23 degrees and that was with 9lbs removed only hold just over 13Lbs.
    QUOTE]

nevermind
    Last edited by monkeyman#1; 07-23-2011 at 02:19 PM. Reason: re read op and realized my misunderstanding

The question is are both condenser fans spinning in the same direction?
    one may be spinning backwards, where it has a bad cap, or the fuse is blown (its the screw-on ones on the right side of the control panel).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast