I trust the opinions/feed back from here... I have a (can't recall exact btu furnace now, but small, maybe 40k) nat'l gas furnace and 40-gal gas water tank vented in an unlined, brick chimney, original from the 50's. New furnace is still only the ~80% eff., but has the inducer fan/draft, and after installation contract, now I'm told I will have condensation issues with cold, unlined chimney - need to have it lined with flex liner (appx 20-25' total).
    SS are hurting $$$$$$, aluminum ones much, MUCH more rea$onable, and come with a decent 20-25 yr warranty. Supposedly. Would you allow/do an aluminum? Never consider it? I'm trying t do some research before I sign, and it appears one could buy the alum 'kit' for about $100-120... now, installing it, that's another animal! Can I get a rough est if this was the only work to be done, meaning, if I was not to call back the furnace installer, would another HVAC guy be intersted in this, of is it not a big enough job, or wouold they just make the price up to make it worth their while since they didn't get the furance install too?
    Thanks.

Any good company will help you.

have not had any problems with aluminum liners. if heating guys don't want to do job call chimney cleaning co.

Its a shame the original installer didnt do it in the first place, but, I suspect looking for a bargain is why you're in the fix youre in. no offense intended.

Call any reputable HVAC company to have it done as wayner211 mentioned.

Many heating guys don't touch chimney, dont want the liability. A sweep will want to make money on the material also. Call around and get the best price.

why would they bring that up after the fact? it should have been included in the installation.

looks like the salesman didn't look around too well. i wonder what else he missed?

Aluminum is for gas appliances. Stainless steel liner is required for oil appliances.
    It takes 2 people to install it.

Make sure the chimney liner is approved for use in a masonry chimney, for gas appliances. Just an aluminum flexible pipe wont cut it. I agree it should have been done when the furnace was installed.
    never say never

choices

Yes, listed aluminum liners are approved for Category I gas appliances--no oil. However, they are a poor bargain. If you live in the deep South, it might hold up. However, up North, they might last 2-3 yrs. The problem is, most HVAC companys don't inspect their work every yr. once they're done. Sweeps do. That's why 90% of the sweeps only sell stainless steel. It's like throwing money away.

Pay a sweep to install a listed liner such as 316Ti or AL29-4C alloy.

Yes, you must reline the chimney both for code compliance and functionality.

Re: choices

Originally posted by hearthman
    Yes, listed aluminum liners are approved for Category I gas appliances--no oil. However, they are a poor bargain. If you live in the deep South, it might hold up. However, up North, they might last 2-3 yrs. The problem is, most HVAC companys don't inspect their work every yr. once they're done. Sweeps do. That's why 90% of the sweeps only sell stainless steel. It's like throwing money away.

Pay a sweep to install a listed liner such as 316Ti or AL29-4C alloy.

Yes, you must reline the chimney both for code compliance and functionality.
    You are probably right about the aluminum. I have always used Z-FLEX kit, which is stainless steel on certain types of propane decorative appliances. We usually have the homeowner hire a chimney guy to install a stainless steel liner for oil fired equipment that we install, before we will install it. So I wouldn't know how well aluminum holds up. But it seems to hold up pretty well in B vent.