First of all, I want to thank you guys for all the information you've provided. It made for a much more educated consumer as well as helped me eliminate two contractors almost immediately: no load calcs, etc. In fact, I had one contractor spend no more than 8 minutes on my bid, and that included his writing time! Both contractors load calcs were within 2K BTU, and within 5K of my own so I feel they were done well.

I've narrowed it to two contractors/systems. Each offered two brands, and it's essentially between the recommended system of each contractor. The experience with both individuals was exceptional, and nearly to the point that I feel bad only one can get the job. Believe it or not, the totals after rebates are less than a hundred bucks apart, so that aspect has been eliminated. Mr. 8 minutes actually had the low bid on an "equivalent" system if I remember correctly, (I spent as much time with his bid as he spent writing it) Too bad his haste threw away the job. Travis, you know who I'm talking about.

Here they are:

Carrier Infinity System
    60K Infinity 96 2-stage VS (94% efficiency rating)
    2 Ton Infinity 18 2-stage AC w/matching coil (15.5+ SEER)
    (anyone know the physical size of this AC unit offhand?)
    Infinity Control System thermostat
    10 year parts and labor warranty

York Affinity System
    PV9B12N060 Affinity 60K 2-stage VS (93.2% efficiency rating)
    CZE024 2-stage AC w/matching coil (14.75 SEER)
    Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 thermostat
    10 year parts and labor warranty

Both bids are all inclusive: Sheet metal, liner for orphaned water heater, new breaker for AC (cutoff box was replaced this summer), gas ball valve to code,and permits. No pad is needed for AC as it sits on existing concrete patio.

Based on all the posts I've already read, I'm pretty sure which way opinions will go, but wanted to offer it up for your comments. Fire away...

Thanks!
    Blaine

Originally posted by uncleblaine
    I've narrowed it to two contractors/systems. Each offered two brands, and it's essentially between the recommended system of each contractor. The experience with both individuals was exceptional, and nearly to the point that I feel bad only one can get the job.
    That's an Easy selection
    ... The contractor who provides the Best SERVICE.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Sounds like you have found 2 good contractors to choose from. I think you will do good with either one of them.

I currently have a 10 year old York furnace and it has never given me much trouble. However, I am moving and getting a Carrier Infinity because of the Infinity controller, very cool!. York Affinity's Outdoor units color can be changed so there is a plus. I guess I would say that you have a very tough decission to make.

Physical Data for the Infinity ODU: http://www.commercial.carrier.com/co..._SIT12,00.html

I love these units

http://www.yorkupg.com/affinity/intro.htm

I have had the pleasure of working on just one of these units. It had a faulty compressor from being run for over a year with no filter changes.(heat pump)

I have personally always liked York products.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Infinity Control,enough said!!

Originally posted by dash
    Infinity Control,enough said!!
    Ditto.

Both contractors being equal, Infinity would be my choice.

Thanks for the link York, exactly what I needed.

I think it's going to end up being the Infinity. With all the kudos to the Infinity control system throughout threads on the board, I figured that might be the consensus. I'll do some before and after pictures for those that are curious.

Thanks!
    Blaine